Awning brackets

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
In a shameless ripoff of @GarryM idea of mounting a pipe carrier tube to the side of the van for carrying fishing rods and other bits an pieces, I'm exploring options of how to do it. I want to mount it in the same way as the awning but obviously on the other side. I already have a C channel built into the side of the roof on both sides, and the awning rail uses this to brace some of the brackets.

Now I'm not a fabricator or metalworker, though I will have a go at making brackets if I have to, but I'd find it a lot easier to use an off-the-peg solution so the ideal would be to get the same brackets that hold my awning on. It's a Westfalia van and the awning is branded as Westfalia, but I don't know if they actually make their own or whether they just rebadge someone else's. I'm having no luck searching for Westfalia awning brackets so I wonder if anyone with an awning could have a look at the pictures below and see if they are identical. I would have a job getting access to the interior for that bolt that actually goes through the side, but I'd have to deal with that when I came to it
IMG_2751.JPG
IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

Ok, nobody then :( Right so I need to find another solution and I could do with some advice from anyone more technically minded than me. The C channel would make it possible to slide M4 bolt heads along inside giving as many mounting points as I need to attach brackets to the roof, though I will have to fit an underside mounted bracket like above to make sure it can't move backwards and forwards, and take some of the weight.

The area where I would need to fit this bracket is not accessible from the inside though, would it be acceptably strong if it was riveted on?

The brackets. The ones holding my awning up are 3mm thick and I decided to have a go at making some to fit what I want, I've got a grinder with a cutting wheel and a drill and I just needed a metal bender, how hard can it be? Well it turns out after looking on ebay, that unless I spend big bucks for a huge floor standing machine that I'll rarely use then the thickest steel plate I'd be able to bend is 1.2mm. Would this be strong enough? Or could I join 2 or 3 plates together after bending to shape to make one thick bracket?

Would be grateful for any tips from anyone who's up on this sort of thing

Ok, nobody then :( Right so I need to find another solution and I could do with some advice from anyone more technically minded than me. The C channel would make it possible to slide M4 bolt heads along inside giving as many mounting points as I need to attach brackets to the roof, though I will have to fit an underside mounted bracket like above to make sure it can't move backwards and forwards, and take some of the weight.

The area where I would need to fit this bracket is not accessible from the inside though, would it be acceptably strong if it was riveted on?

The brackets. The ones holding my awning up are 3mm thick and I decided to have a go at making some to fit what I want, I've got a grinder with a cutting wheel and a drill and I just needed a metal bender, how hard can it be? Well it turns out after looking on ebay, that unless I spend big bucks for a huge floor standing machine that I'll rarely use then the thickest steel plate I'd be able to bend is 1.2mm. Would this be strong enough? Or could I join 2 or 3 plates together after bending to shape to make one thick bracket?

Would be grateful for any tips from anyone who's up on this sort of thing
Can't really help other than to suggest the load on your pipe/fishing rod carrier brackets is going to be an awful lot less than that of an awning bracket supporting circa 6 square metres of extended sail - careful not to over engineer it too much!

Thanks, yes it's not going to have to be quite as strong, but I have visions of me having to come to a sudden stop on the motorway and a six foot aluminium missile not doing :whistle::eek:

I found out that the best way to secure the rear bracket was with rivnuts so ordered some last night along with some steel plate to make brackets, but this morning I've woken up and decided to drop the whole idea. I like doing projects like this, but when I thought about it more I realised by the time I bought everything I needed I was looking at around £200, for carrying things that don't actually take up much room in the van. It's just not worth it I think so I'm going to be sensible and drop it, need to get a grip on the money I'm pouring into this van

They might not take up much room in the van but do you want them kicking around in there all day/night when camping - your tube idea would give them a secure storage location outside. :)

Back