Awning and Sleeping

Hi all and thanks for accepting me on the forum. Just getting started so expect a million questions!

Can I ask please, what is the best air or put up awning to by for the T6? It’s only for a couple of people so I need something small but I am looking for it to sleep one or a couple of people, so some kind of bedroom inside. Thanks in advance!

Hi, and welcome.
There are many many different views on this - do a search for Awning Poll and take a look. It depends whether you'll be wanting to take the van off site during your stay or not. Air awnings/tents generally take up more storage space and are heavier, but potentially less faff (not always though). Don't dismiss smallish poled awnings or even standalone tents.

Hi
I have used a Vango Cove air 2 on a T6
Easy to put up, Not to big and stood up to some very stormy weather
Not used a poled version
But is an air awning worth the extra money ?
Cheers
Johnny

Had 2 awnings, both pole & air, gave up on both. They are just too much of a faff. IF it came to pass where I needed the extra room in the future, I’d go for a separate standalone tent. Less faff & doesn’t carry the “awning” price premium.

We have a Vango Tailgate Airhub, but only ever use it as a standalone tent for storage space - can't see any advantage of having it attached to the van (driveaway or otherwise).

We generally only attach our awning if we can’t take the van off site, for example festivals. However, with an awning you often have an extra door when used standalone. We do use a larger tent for longer stays. There can be campsite rules on tents versus awnings, that sometimes make no sense!

Our plan is to have a bed in the van and live in the awning tent - we have an awning tent (Vango Faros) but not tried it yet.

We currently camp with the kids and have a monster tent with front porch etc Putting up /taking down is the part I dread! I think moving to a much simpler set up will ‘ease’ the task.

With the driveaway, I plan to put two pegs and a bright guide rope aside the two drivers side wheels so I can get the van back in the same spot should we need to drive somewhere.

There can be campsite rules on tents versus awnings, that sometimes make no sense!
So true. Went to one site where they allowed awnings but told us "we aren't insured for tents"?! :confused: There was a short discussion regarding our awning (which we hadn't attached to the van), but that was cut short when I pointed out that "awning" was actually printed on the side of it. :rolleyes:

Our plan is to have a bed in the van and live in the awning tent - we have an awning tent (Vango Faros) but not tried it yet.

We currently camp with the kids and have a monster tent with front porch etc Putting up /taking down is the part I dread! I think moving to a much simpler set up will ‘ease’ the task.

With the driveaway, I plan to put two pegs and a bright guide rope aside the two drivers side wheels so I can get the van back in the same spot should we need to drive somewhere.
never dreaded putting up or down it's the getting dry if needed I dread the if needed bit is probably 90% of the time

never dreaded putting up or down it's the getting dry if needed I dread the if needed bit is probably 90% of the time
Exactly why I got rid of my big polycotton awning PITA to dry, even dew on a dry day meant it had to come out again when we got home.

Current outdoor revolution is much better (and cheaper) with standard plastic tent material. Also have the optional 2 bed annexe which ensures the living space is maintained for living not sleeping.

Exactly why I got rid of my big polycotton awning PITA to dry, even dew on a dry day meant it had to come out again when we got home.

Current outdoor revolution is much better (and cheaper) with standard plastic tent material. Also have the optional 2 bed annexe which ensures the living space is maintained for living not sleeping.
I've worked that any awning 3mts or under I can chuck some dust sheets down and dry it off indoors

I've worked that any awning 3mts or under I can chuck some dust sheets down and dry it off indoors
I can get mine dry hung up in the garage (3x3 awning) just about but last time I put it up in the garden as it was soaking. It just about fitted on the lawn, I used to have to pitch my vango Rhone in my parents garden to get dry before as it was too big, then finish the drying off in my lounge (not inflated), refolding it a few times to get it all dry, PITA!

I bought one of these, it fits in the tunnel, and I peg it down aligned with the van's wheels. Gives you something to aim for when reversing, and acts as a doormat the keep mud out of the van.

I have a Faro Low, but as there at only two of us camping, I only put up if we are staying in one place for 7+days.

We have a Kyham quick erect thing. Once you get used to the quick erect joints it really is quite quick. In the rain we pack pretty much everything in the van before starting on the tent, which minimises the amount of wet stuff, but it will need drying out at home, either under the car port or half erected in a spare room. Our Kyham awning also has an optional inner bedroom tent available (which we haven’t bothered with).

Back