Awning advice - considering Vango Magra

I like our Galli 2, it’s the big one and a handful to lug around, but set up is easy if you watch a YouTube video first.

Simple rules are -

1 connect it to the awning rail
2 blow it up
3 pull it straight
4 pin it down

Watch the video to see it get packed away, you have to follow a set routine or it won’t fit in the bag.

Good thread here - Show Us Your Awning Setup.

Last edited:
I’ve gone for the Magra, and have been nothing but impressed. There’s room for 4 comfortably around a table, the slanted section at the back is ideal as just a bit of an area to “define” your pitch, tuck outdoor cooking stuff away in etc. A inflatable double bed certainly takes up some room, but we just pop that into the van during the day and free up the space till nighttime. Having entrances either end is great, and with it being side on, bit of choice where you want to sit without it looking weird. So privacy or facing out, also ideal if you’ve had an argument with the missus and want some space without giving up access to the cool box.....

easy to put up on your own, very easy to take down and fold away nicely. I’d go see one, but it’s packed with nice features, I would recommend.

I’ve gone for the Magra, and have been nothing but impressed. There’s room for 4 comfortably around a table, the slanted section at the back is ideal as just a bit of an area to “define” your pitch, tuck outdoor cooking stuff away in etc. A inflatable double bed certainly takes up some room, but we just pop that into the van during the day and free up the space till nighttime. Having entrances either end is great, and with it being side on, bit of choice where you want to sit without it looking weird. So privacy or facing out, also ideal if you’ve had an argument with the missus and want some space without giving up access to the cool box.....

easy to put up on your own, very easy to take down and fold away nicely. I’d go see one, but it’s packed with nice features, I would recommend.

same just got ours really like it. we have a slidepod seatpod coming , so feel this will work very well cooking out of the rear of the van .
1595192298648.png

Reactions: CAB
Those that have purchased the Vango VW Magra drive away awning, I am interested in your experiences 'in the field'.

We love the awning set up and found it great when away as far as how we arranged things etc BUT having had mixed weather and quite a bit of rain and some wind at times, we experienced a few issues.
1. leaking between the plastic figure of 8 rods put onto the drive away kit - they kept separating (front to back-wise) and causing drips down onto side of van (wetting curtains) or into footwell at open sliding doors etc
2. pooling of water on roof in tunnel area, even with the very flimsy 'rod' used to push up the roof. (pic 13 shows our pitching to the van (ythrough the condensation was taught
3. ripping of the said rod through bottom end of material housing rod above
4. collapsing of whole awning due to pooling centrally on roof of living space - led to complete flooding of carpet area. Beams were fully inflated so that wasn't the issue. Def weight of water pulling it down. Solved this for further downpours by moving one bracer beam centrally. Seems they should have three to make the awning robust.
So, still to get back to company but as reading this, just thought I would see if others have similar experience.
Awning and van are new to us but have had an airbeam polycotton tent for several years so used to the pitching and inflating.20200723_152928[1].jpg20200717_220517[1].jpg20200723_125428[1].jpg20200724_230703[1].jpg20200727_053518[1].jpg1[1].jpg3[1].jpg4[1].jpg5[1].jpg6[1].jpg15[1].jpg13[1].jpg11[1].jpg8[1].jpg10[1].jpg

9[1].jpg

So in fairness we did experience some pooling in the tunnel area but it always reached a point where it cleared itself before anything dramatic happened. Certainly have not have the pooling in the main roof area you had. We did gusting gale force winds and rain, with it held on only with the roof rail attachments and had no dramas.

We have been fortunate to only use ours in good weather so cannot comment , im sure our time will come when the weather is not so good . we will have to see how we get on with regards to pooling of water etc. i would think vango have a fairly stringent testing system so id be surprised if they release something to the market which is not fit for purpose . @Saz69 shame you experienced what you did , maybe you had a deluge of water over a short period of time ? and the awning struggled to cope , hopefully this will not be an issue with this awning .and I hope you have a better experience next time .

We have only just ventured into the camping world due to covid putting us of from going abroad etc and bought the Magra as it was advertised to be specific to the vw transporter .
As people start getting out more im sure we will see other reviews getting posted about the Magra , i guess time will tell wether it gets a thumbs up . keep the reviews coming people .

Have fun , stay safe and enjoy yourselves and each other :cool:

We went for a Hexaway in the end. But yes, the figure of 8 connectors do come apart. Our converter said if you go to the motorhome shows you can get full length figure 8 strips, but no-one will post them. He then stores them at the edge of the poptop.

I suspect their won't be a show for a while to be able to get them at though!

We went for a Hexaway in the end. But yes, the figure of 8 connectors do come apart. Our converter said if you go to the motorhome shows you can get full length figure 8 strips, but no-one will post them. He then stores them at the edge of the poptop.

our original kampa driveaway kit gave us the same problems with the drips coming through the figure of 8 all in the wrong places as they are only 1000mm long so i swapped them for 1200mm long figure of 8s and kept one at 1200 over the sliding door and a small section over the passenger door and just cut the back 1 to length so if it drips 1 over the passenger door and 1 past the door opening if that all makes sense
Plus added 2 addition straps front and rear of the awning where it attaches to the figure of 8 and it stops everything sliding back and forth along the kador strip

our original kampa driveaway kit gave us the same problems with the drips coming through the figure of 8 all in the wrong places as they are only 1000mm long so i swapped them for 1200mm long figure of 8s and kept one at 1200 over the sliding door and a small section over the passenger door and just cut the back 1 to length so if it drips 1 over the passenger door and 1 past the door opening if that all makes sense
Plus added 2 addition straps front and rear of the awning where it attaches to the figure of 8 and it stops everything sliding back and forth along the kador strip
Like this with the orange strap plus one at the rear they also help putting it up if its windy stop it blowing out the channel20200804_173242.jpg

Hi @Apretext ...If you find a contact for full length Fig 8 can you pass it on...:thumbsup:

Hi @Apretext ...If you find a contact for full length Fig 8 can you pass it on...:thumbsup:

These do a 2.4m length, but it does come with an additional postage cost.
I know they sell at Camperjam & Busfest, as I have bought things off them previously, with the next shows in 2021 (hopefully!!)

Back