Auxiliary Heating, What Have I Got?

m3geo

I own a 2018 Caravelle which I plan to use on occasion as a camper, I'm looking at fitting a diesel powered air heater.
When looking underneath I could see and touch what I suspect was the exhaust pipe for an auxiliary heating set up, it points inward and towards the rear at about the level of the back of the passenger seat, there are no additional controls in the cab for anything though.
My question is, is this a diesel powered water heater and if so can I connect into the fuel supply to feed a retro fit air heater?

There should be sticker on the drivers door shut that will let you k ow what heater you have fitted

Sounds like you have the same set up as my Shuttle @m3geo. Sticker on the drivers door or B pillar should confirm what you have. But sounds like a coolant heater. It kicks in when you start the engine and the ambient temperature is low. Think it's about 5 degrees mark. You should notice you van heats up quicker when it colder outside.

I've got an additional Webasto Airtop heater fitted for blowing warm air into the cabin. The installation instructions for this have a section that shows you where to put a T piece in to tap off the coolant heater fuel line.

Thank's folks, I found a sticker on the drivers door for a Webasto Thermo Top Evo 5kw diesel heater, sounds like that'll save a fair bit of work getting a fuel supply.
In the absence of any on board controls is there any retrofit that can be done to have it kick in on a timer and if so at what sort of cost?

Thank's folks, I found a sticker on the drivers door for a Webasto Thermo Top Evo 5kw diesel heater, sounds like that'll save a fair bit of work getting a fuel supply.
In the absence of any on board controls is there any retrofit that can be done to have it kick in on a timer and if so at what sort of cost?
Have a look at this company ,they sell lots of kits to turn your auxiliary heater in to a parking heater ,with a choice of control ,remote,phone app and timers .
If you have climatronic heating its a lot easier to fit .
I got my kit from them ,the only other thing you will need is a flash tool to flash the soft ware on the heater ,I would sell mine if you wanted one .
Standheizung von Webasto und Eberspächer online kaufen. Jetzt bestellen bei www.standheizungs-shop.de

Theres quite a few extensive threads on this as @mmi has posted above. There's kits available from abroad, maybe Poland or Germany on eBay to do this.

Alternatively am aware of this company offering the upgrade, if this helps......

Screenshot_20181216-103147_Firefox.jpg

Seeing Santa for lunch at 12.30, might ask him if he’s anything for me!!
Thanks folks, will take a better look later at both suggestions, much appreciated

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!!

I've been looking at getting a parking heater for my 'velle, and discovered through this forum that it has the auxiliary coolant heater fitted (who knew!!!). I got it in March and haven't started it below 5 degrees yet!

One question tho - if I get the multicontrol fitted and the heater firmware gets flashed for it to work, does it still operate automatically to warm the engine below 5 degrees? Actually two questions - can it run off the leisure battery instead of the starter battery?

Yeah that's the auxiliary heater that helps the engine heat up quicker when it's cold. No manual control of it as standard or a factory option. Might be able to be added with extra programming.

The controllable diesel heaters are Eberspacher models, for which you'd see this sticker.
1000004727.jpg

Interestingly, I (2018 Caravelle) don't have the normally std fit webasto, only the Eberspacher parking heater, which only heats the air in the cabin, not the engine.

Back