Attaching Load Lashing Points To Pillars Safely

boxbark

VIP Member
Hi All

I've a T6 kombi with twin sliding electric doors. I need to add some load lashing points midway up the pillars behind my rear triple bench, (The c-pillar??) - under the rear seat seat-belt fixtures. I want them to be strong. I need to lash flat objects against the back of the rear seats to stop the objects from falling over.

It's carpet lined. Am I safe to screw self-tapping screws (either 3mm or 3.5mm I guess?) into the pillar through the lined panels and into the metal underneath? Will I hit anything underneath?

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks...

I don't think the length of screw is going to make it any stronger, you'll still be just going through a single skin of metal. You shouldn't hit anything in the C pillar but it would be prudent to remove the ply cover at the bottom and check (assuming your convertor has carpeted it separately). For strength I would drill a hole and fit a rivnut. :thumbsup:

If you can, I’d try and get to the back of the panel and use bolt, washer and nut. Rivnuts are OK up to a point but can pull out under load.

There are some interesting bits of stainless boat chandlery that would make suitable lashing points - two hole pad eye?? Just need to ensure no one can hit it in an accident. Or perhaps a folding pad eye?

Thanks for your tips guys. I'll see how easily I can get into the pillar and make my mind up which way to fix the rings. I'm going to use a folding D-ring for lashing. Which sounds like something a peer of the realm requests in his dungeon. "Lash my d-ring. Punish my d-ring"...

Back