Are tailgates usually more expensive?

ca$hman

I've been looking at Transporters non stop for the last three weeks. I ideally want a Highline, low mileage and with a tailgate.

Speaking to dealers everywhere they are all saying the same thing, that Tailgates are in high demand at the moment due to the surge in people converting them to campervans as a result of the staycations.

And there is definitely a shortage of them online. As a result, a tailgate van right now is going to cost me £1500 -£2000 more than a like for like transporter with barn doors. Are they usually this much more expensive or is it a temporary thing due to the above?

I want a tailgate for all the obvious reasons. I won't just be using the van for work but also for leisure. I bike a lot etc But I just can't bring myself to payinng an extra £2,000 for a different kind of back door.

Your guy's thoughts are very welcome!

I’d like to say it’s somewhere to sit out of the rain but VW designed it so the rain runs inside the van with the tailgate open.

3 weeks? Lightweight. I was looking for over 3mnths till my spec turned up. :) My biggest pain was double slidey doors, I only wanted one. Patience, one will turn up eventually but I know how hard it is to wait.

When you don't have a vehicle because your car was stolen then three weeks feels like a very long time!

I don't mind waiting longer but If tailgates are just £2000 more expensive all the time then I might as well go for it now . . .

I've been looking at Transporters non stop for the last three weeks. I ideally want a Highline, low mileage and with a tailgate.

Speaking to dealers everywhere they are all saying the same thing, that Tailgates are in high demand at the moment due to the surge in people converting them to campervans as a result of the staycations.

And there is definitely a shortage of them online. As a result, a tailgate van right now is going to cost me £1500 -£2000 more than a like for like transporter with barn doors. Are they usually this much more expensive or is it a temporary thing due to the above?

I want a tailgate for all the obvious reasons. I won't just be using the van for work but also for leisure. I bike a lot etc But I just can't bring myself to payinng an extra £2,000 for a different kind of back door.

Your guy's thoughts are very welcome!
Like you I started wanting a tailgate but reluctantly settled on a 2016 High line with barn doors that I got converted. I’m glad Now because when loaded it means all me gear doesn’t fall out giving more flexIbility

Iirc, they are the same price from new. I think barn doors are standard but the tailgate is a no cost option (I could be wrong). Most trades vans are ordered with barn doors as they are more suited to commercial applications. Tailgates only get ordered by folks wanting the van for conversion or trades with special requirements. The second hand market price is supply & demand.

Salty is correct its a zero cost option....

It only starts costing more if you want full electric or power latching on the tailgate... if its a full electric tailgate then i could see it coming at a premium.

If its a standard tailgate then it shouldn't....

Untitled.jpg

I was in the same boat. I ended up finding a good deal on a barn-door van and converting it to a tailgate myself. Fairly straight forward. Cost about £1000 I think so you could say it saved me waiting for the right van that would have only cost me more money.

I was in the same boat. I ended up finding a good deal on a barn-door van and converting it to a tailgate myself. Fairly straight forward. Cost about £1000 I think so you could say it saved me waiting for the right van that would have only cost me more money.

Thanks Ads, this is actually something I really wanted to know. Where did you get the tailgate from and who did you have fit it?

When you don't have a vehicle because your car was stolen then three weeks feels like a very long time!

I don't mind waiting longer but If tailgates are just £2000 more expensive all the time then I might as well go for it now . . .
I waited a couple of months to get what I wanted at the correct price, I think if I were in your situation I’d buy a very cheap run about and wait for the ‘right van’.

Some of us with arthritis prefer barn doors, saves stretching up and pulling down which is painful - I specified them on the build for that reason.

Just personal opinion but I think the tailgate looks slightly better. I was surprised when I first got mine just how far away from a wall or other vehicle I have to be to be able to open the tailgate, it's huge and barn doors would probably have suited me better.

Thanks Ads, this is actually something I really wanted to know. Where did you get the tailgate from and who did you have fit it?

Last edited:
Just personal opinion but I think the tailgate looks slightly better. I was surprised when I first got mine just how far away from a wall or other vehicle I have to be to be able to open the tailgate, it's huge and barn doors would probably have suited me better.
Agree if you use the key fob to open tailgate those pesky proximities sensors want loads of space...but if you use the Mark 1 hand it over rides it :)

The full electric tailgate is a nice option... button press to close and you can adjust the angle of the open position, so when using as a shelter it allows the rain to run off and away.

Back