Apple airtags as a tracker?

Ah not so quick... it works as the same as if you loose you iPhone and use the findmy app.. it chats to passing iPhones and sends its position back encrypted to the iCloud which then feedback to your phone.. So as long as its near anybody iPhone it can be found!

The principle is good, but as Hickey says, you’re putting your hope in an iPhone being nearby if it gets nicked. You may be lucky, and then again......

If cost is the concern, surely a better option would be a basic GPS tracked off eBay. At least you know it will work whenever you need it to

For £25 it’s an extra layer of security for a small amount of money and with the amount of people around who have iPhones it’s bound to pick up a connection occasionally.
I was thinking of getting one.

So my iPhone is being used to provide location data for other people?
My tinfoil hat is starting to get hot. :mad:

Aside from that if the thief has an iPhone then your tag will send them a notification telling them it's nearby (to stop it being using to track other people) and eventually the tag will make a sound so they can find it and chuck it out the window.

If it’s transmitting constantly the battery will soon be flat.
The IPhone that’s within range must have Bluetooth turned on.

The principle is good, but as Hickey says, you’re putting your hope in an iPhone being nearby if it gets nicked. You may be lucky, and then again......

If cost is the concern, surely a better option would be a basic GPS tracked off eBay. At least you know it will work whenever you need it to
Hopes of an iPhone being near? I guess everyone I know has iPhones. Even my 80 year old parents have iPhones. Well 25 is a cheap easy option that you can chuck in the van and forget about for a year .
So my iPhone is being used to provide location data for other people?
My tinfoil hat is starting to get hot. :mad:

Aside from that if the thief has an iPhone then your tag will send them a notification telling them it's nearby (to stop it being using to track other people) and eventually the tag will make a sound so they can find it and chuck it out the window.
Why would the tag send them a notification? It’s not registered to that phone? It would tell that phone it’s position and that gets shared with I cloud back to owner. That’s how findmy app works. If you loose your iPhone you can login on somebody else’s phone in their app with your Apple ID and it will locate your phone if still powered.
This makes it pointless for this use

View attachment 113336

Hopes of an iPhone being near? I guess everyone I know has iPhones. Even my 80 year old parents have iPhones. Well 25 is a cheap easy option that you can chuck in the van and forget about for a year .

Why would the tag send them a notification? It’s not registered to that phone? It would tell that phone it’s position and that gets shared with I cloud back to owner. That’s how findmy app works. If you loose your iPhone you can login on somebody else’s phone in their app with your Apple ID and it will locate your phone if still powered.
This makes it pointless for this use

View attachment 113336
Poo. Needs some real world reviews to come in.

Why would the tag send them a notification? It’s not registered to that phone?

The answer is my original post which you quoted and is taken from the Apple website that @Skyliner33 posted.
..if the thief has an iPhone then your tag will send them a notification telling them it's nearby (to stop it being using to track other people)

It's a bit strange how it all works. Just wire up a £20 tracker with a PAYG sim. I use an O2 3-2-1 PAYG and it costs about 20p per week to send updates every 30 seconds to my server running Traccar.

The answer is my original post which you quoted and is taken from the Apple website that @Skyliner33 posted.

It's a bit strange how it all works. Just wire up a £20 tracker with a PAYG sim. I use an O2 3-2-1 PAYG and it costs about 20p per week to send updates every 30 seconds to my server running Traccar.
Fancy doing a how to of this? Might help a few people.

Hi @Skyliner33. I guess you mean the Traccar software? The software itself is not that difficult to setup and I could outline the steps for a basic setup but running a secure linux server as the operating system is quite involved and beyond a simple walkthrough.

If people are interested then please like this post. :thumbsup:

Hi @Skyliner33. I guess you mean the Traccar software? The software itself is not that difficult to setup and I could outline the steps for a basic setup but running a secure linux server as the operating system is quite involved and beyond a simple walkthrough.

If people are interested then please like this post. :thumbsup:
Hi, I meant more how to set up the tracker, suggested ones to get, and how use the Traccar software, what it will run on etc, rather than setting up a Linux server.

Just get a Vodafone Curve and hardwire it in, it really is a cheap and effective solution.

Back