Any ideas on how to fix tailgate cable with pop top?

Marthavan

Hi,
We got a pop top installed on our T6 and when we got the van back the tailgate wouldn't open from the outside.

It seems they have damaged the cable for the tailgate opening mechanism while installing the pop top.

It's now all carpeted up. How easy is it to now get at that cable? Any tips?

I don't really want to have to get the conversion people to look at it as they are a complete nightmare and also about 7 hrs away from us.

Thanks a lot.

Do you know for sure it's a damaged cable? It's very likely but could be a faulty switch. If you have access to VCDS you can check this.

If it is a damaged cable you'll need to gain access to the loom that runs down the passenger side of your van, just behind the soffit of the roof lining

Thanks Deaky. I LL see if I can get someone with vcds to check about the switch. But does seem likely it's the cable.

Do you know what it's like accessing that loom after skyline pop top has been installed?

Thanks

I have no direct knowledge of a skyline roof but most have a carpeted board running down both sides sometimes with spot lights in. These are usually screwed in place. Most places cut a small slit in the carpet, screw through it and then hide the head of the screw. Feel along it and you'll find where the fixings are.

After my poptop was fitted I had issues with the reversing camera on the tailgate, and reversing sensor issues.

Turns out it was swarf that had rained down on everything, including connectors under the driver’s seat. I took them apart, and blew the swarf out. I think I replaced a fuse as well.

Back