Any alloy brands to avoid?

Hi all, we’re new to this great wealth of knowledge.

Just picked up our converted T6 and I want to upgrade to some 18in alloys but not fork out the extra for new coil overs/shocks. Are there any brands to avoid, I’d rather pay a bit more upfront and not have to worry about wheel repairs in just a few years? I’ve already been warned off polished/bi-colour wheels, so will stick to black I think. I like the value/look of WolfRace but my local dealer says avoid with a barge pole due to the above issues.

Any advice for a budget of c£1500 much appreciated

Welcome to the forum. Just my opinion, I think think you’d be better spending the cash on a suspension upgrade. Maybe put a few pics of your van up to help the members give advice.

We only sell the better brands, correct weight rating etc, and can advise where necessary what works for you - And suspension if you decide to go this route too.

Happy for a chat if you send contact details

As a rule of thumb, I would avoid diamond cut alloys, as frequently the lacquer over lifts and quickly allows the shiny ally to pit badly.

I had a set replaced under warranty that were under 12 months old and the same thing happened to different make replacements.

Both sets were unscuffed and undamaged save the pitting.

Also if tou do have any scuffs, it provides the supplier with a possible get out, blaming the damage for causing the pitting.

Everyone has a budget which is understandable and most times you get what you pay for, some of the more expensive wheels are not that much more. We have used more 'expensive' wheels and they have had corrosion appear, some cheaper ones have lasted but stone chips, kerbs :eek: etc dont respect how much a wheel costs. A more expensive better quality wheel as Oli @BognorMotors suggests may be a better option in the long run. You could sell your old wheels to offset the cost of new, Cheers

Just picked up our converted T6 and I want to upgrade to some 18in alloys but not fork out the extra for new coil overs/shocks. Are there any brands to avoid, I’d rather pay a bit more upfront and not have to worry about wheel repairs in just a few years? I’ve already been warned off polished/bi-colour wheels, so will stick to black I think. I like the value/look of WolfRace but my local dealer says avoid with a barge pole due to the above issues.

There’s members on here that change their wheels more often than others change their underwear. These crop up on the For Sale Forum, are generally well looked after and often half the price of new. You also need to make sure that the wheel and the tyre are load rated for your van.

Welcome to the Forum buddy.

I have Wolfrace alloys and have to agree as most of their range is black with Diamond cut highlights which when kerbed ruin the look of their wheels. Mine are no longer diamond cut as had them powder coated.

You could look at Alloy Gators if/when you find a set of rims that fit the bill.

Before and after images

5299F806-06E7-466E-A201-653B175F77E8.jpeg

ABE860E7-F26D-4CC5-BBB4-4BB08F53B14A.jpeg

Back