An accident damn it

@sparkywig. I fear that's where I'm heading. I've got protected NCB but my premium will go up anyway as I believe that the insurance industry calculates that once you've had an accident, another one will inevitably follow hence your higher risk and the policy costs more (or some similar money grabbing scheme / crock of sh1te)).

@sparkywig. I fear that's where I'm heading. I've got protected NCB but my premium will go up anyway as I believe that the insurance industry calculates that once you've had an accident, another one will inevitably follow hence your higher risk and the policy costs more (or some similar money grabbing scheme / crock of sh1te)).
Unfortunately, protected NCB is a crock in itself! Some insurance companies are even brazen enough to list it as a separate insurance line item

And that is the risk, insurance is often not fair. Looking at the photos you posted I would get a quote from a body shop. Looking at the surface issues only and not knowing what may be damaged beneath I would guess that is around a £600 repair plus the replacement headlight if it’s damaged. Voluntary excess plus increased follow on premiums will often exceed this so getting a quote to repair it yourself is worth doing in my experience so you’ve got something to help make the decision.

And that is the risk, insurance is often not fair. Looking at the photos you posted I would get a quote from a body shop. Looking at the surface issues only and not knowing what may be damaged beneath I would guess that is around a £600 repair plus the replacement headlight if it’s damaged. Voluntary excess plus increased follow on premiums will often exceed this so getting a quote to repair it yourself is worth doing in my experience so you’ve got something to help make the decision.
That it has been reported to insurance already has increased the premium (even without proceeding to making a claim!)

*The cynic (realist) in me is strong tonight!

That it has been reported to insurance already has increased the premium (even without proceeding to making a claim!)

*The cynic (realist) in me is strong tonight!
True, you don’t need to complete the claim to experience the impact :(

Go to roundabout where it happened and see if theres any cctv, ask on local fb page someone may have a dash cam maybe, dont suppose mrs got a photo of the bloke when along side him...

Thanks for all the comments. On getting an independent costing and maybe just paying for it myself, that was my first thought and I would have gone to a local body shop who I know and trust (he's a neighbour) but he was closed until later this week and away on his boat - timing was working against me as mid-day on new years eve was a particularly lousy for it to happen and I couldn't delay reporting things to the insurance company (and police) until after the weekend. As mentioned above, once it's reported, it's reported against the policy regardless of whether I claimed or not.

Unfortunately, protected NCB is a crock in itself!

Exactly, this is why I never bother with any "extras" when I purchase insurance.
At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

Exactly, this is why I never bother with any "extras" when I purchase insurance.
At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.
Exactly, bugs me that they call it a no claims discount, when its a 'no reported accidents' discount, even if you don't claim or the other party were 100% responsible.

@catfood12. The repairs were all approved within 24 hours of me reporting the accident and everything has now been done. That said, it's a coincidence that you ask now as only yesterday morning I had a letter from my insurance company (Ageas thro' Just Kampers) to say that that the other insurers (Admiral) had consistently ignored their letters and that they had therefore decided to ask their solicitors to start legal proceedings to recover all their costs as well as mine (ie. my excess). The whole repair bill was approaching £4K so they must consider that they have got a chance of getting something back. TBH, I've already written my excess off so if I do get anything back, it will be an unexpected bonus.

@lightning. TBH, I don't care anymore - I know that my insurers have tasked their lawyers with going after Admiral for their costs and if they succeed, I will get my excess back but I've put out all behind me now. If a cheque turns up that will be good but, if not, I'm not losing sleep.

I still haven't received my costs back from my accident. I've been informed by the legal team insurers have up to 18 months to pay out.

@lightning. By coincidence, I had a letter arrive in the mail yesterday from the solicitors saying that the other insurance company had made them an offer to pay 50% of losses by both me and my insurance company (basically, half of my excess). As I said, I've really put the whole affair behind me so I'm inclined to just accept the offer.
(Original post edited).

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
@lightning (and anybody else who's interested!). I had an email from my insurers lawyers last week telling me that Admiral had paid up 50% of the losses and that I would be getting my share (£300) in my bank soon - I checked the bank yesterday and it had arrived. It's a bit of a windfall really so I'm considering putting it towards a Jackery 1000 but I'm still trying to work out how to broach the subject with the Mrs who might have other plans (wishing now that I had kept schtum about the prospective payout in the first place).

Back