Ambient overhead lighting....

T

Thogg

Has anyone retro fitted this? I had it in my Golf.. a lovely soft red glow... would like to explore doing it in the van... I could do it fairly easily by drilling a couple of holes and fitting led s in them.... I'm hoping to be able to do something a bit more professional than that....

@Thogg , will be doing the same thing as will find it useful on a long run. I'm thinking of an LED rope light in a U down the sides and across behind the front seats, the advantage of these is the remote, and you can select which colour you want including white. Looping behind the seats gives you the light in the front, but no glare.. The final details like hiding it a bit I will sort once I finally get hold of my beast.:whistle::whistle::)

Hope this helps in the ideas dept:thumbsdown::thumbsup:

I am currently working with some side glow fibre optic cable. Can be available in most colours but need a van to do some measuring up. Might have time tomorrow to scope out some options but if anyone wants to fire off some ideas then that would be great.

I'm just looking to go really subtle and replicate the red led that the golf used to have. I'll have a think about it when I'm back from skiing!

Can we upgrade the T6 interior light to the one attached? I like the red night light these provide. It's off of a passat.

interior reading light.jpg

Will it fit?

I put a Passat W8 light in a Ibiza manny years back, easily done but it did need an additional live feed run up.

I bought complete second hand ceiling unit from Audi A6 for approximately £5 and extracted 2 OEM LED units only and then glued them over drilled holes.

I bought complete second hand ceiling unit from Audi A6 for approximately £5 and extracted 2 OEM LED units only and then glued them over drilled holes.

Great idea and might work for me as I have the sunroof & parking heater so not sure the Passat/bora/golf unit would fit mine. If you don’t mind me asking how did you wire in the Audi led units? Cheers

You need an ignition supply or button illumination supply to feed the new ambient light (depending how you want them to work) easiest way is to drop a cable down the drivers A pillar and Into the dash then pickup up a supply there, you can get the button illumination from the back of the dash dimmer or ignition supply if you want them on all the time the van on

You need an ignition supply or button illumination supply to feed the new ambient light (depending how you want them to work) easiest way is to drop a cable down the drivers A pillar and Into the dash then pickup up a supply there, you can get the button illumination from the back of the dash dimmer or ignition supply if you want them on all the time the van on

Thanks Pauly.
I have a vague recollection about wiring into the headlight switch?

Great idea and might work for me as I have the sunroof & parking heater so not sure the Passat/bora/golf unit would fit mine. If you don’t mind me asking how did you wire in the Audi led units? Cheers
I took supply directly from the illumination of the ceilling switches, so my 2 ambient LEDs come on together with side lights.

I took supply directly from the illumination of the ceilling switches, so my 2 ambient LEDs come on together with side lights.

Thanks - did the led’s from the A6 need any modification to fit (other than glue) or do they just unplug and have enough cable to connect onto? Any particular connectors needed etc? Cheers!

Hi you have the same light fitting as me,do the leds youve fitted have the same effect as your golf?.

I used an Audi A3 ambient module that was two red LEDs on a plastic mount and I mounted them behind a blank panel and drilled two holes for the LEDs to shine through, think it was about £20 ?

Back