Amazing Campervan Things I Saw Today.........

Carbon13

T6 Pro
My wife and I went to the Caravan/Camper Show at the NEC today, in the main to look at ideas for our planned T6 conversion. We came back with some of our existing equipment choices changed, reconsidered or worth detailed review so we thought we'd share.

1. Side elevating roofs as fitted by Bilbos are much better than we thought they would be, provided great interior headroom but would be perfect if the panels zipped out or at least the clear windows opened.

2. The Wallas XC Duo is a bloomin fantastic device, silent operation, tiny fuel use, ready to cook on in 5 mins, allows you in the Chunnel, very safe as no gas is burned inside the vehicles BUT sits proud of the worktop. Wondered later if it can be inset flush with the worktop and the hot air vented through a step in the unit....

3. The CAN LC1701 'Foldy' sink and burner combo is a masterpiece of intelligent design, were it not for the XC Duo we'd have this fitted plus an eberspacher, the XC Duo wins in our minds however as it is safer.

4. We didn't realise it was possible to be excited about a fridge but turns out it is ! The new Dometic CRX 65 D pull out Fridge/Freezer is another object of cleverness and desire, £970 retail but £570 'show offer' & will likely be added to cart if it'll fit. It's nowhere on the internet yet as far as I can see but it is to campervan fridges what slideout sides are to American RV's.

5. The Vango Airway Cruz II and Kela IV are both really clever drive away awnings but I like the Hexaway the most.

6. USB and mains power sockets which rise on pillars out of worktops are cool as are subtle 'accent' LEDs.

7. Finally......based on what we saw, the roads are soon to be filled with the frail and elderly driving huge motorhomes. We joked about this with someone we knew working at the show in the industry and he shared the same view, a new influx of first time 'campers' in shiny do it all motorhomes with failing bodies & eyesight, getting stuck on singletrack roads in the Dales and under height barriers at Tesco............ now where did I put the Grecian 2000.

:)

We have a Bibo camper with the side opening roof and find it’s fantastic. Loads of headroom, zip openings at both ends with fixed fly screen mesh for good ventilation for when it gets hot and a permanent slim vent mesh at the top along the length to stop condensation.
The two plastic windows are, as you say, fixed but we like that as it makes it 100% waterproof and wind proof. They do come with roll up blackout blinds.
The canvas being a single piece of fabric with all the seams sewn, heat sealed and plasticised I would say it’s pretty bomb proof.
Been more than happy with ours.

Im a big fan of drawer fridges, when i brought my CRX65, they didn't have the drawer option in the 65 litre:(

The Westabo drawer fridges were way to pricey for me at double the price of the 65 litre Dometic

I agree with everything that Nigel_W has written about the Bilbo's roof. I would like to add that the material used is very hard wearing - at least what they used in 2004 and I cannot see that it is any different from that fitted in our new van. I might add that the narrow vent running the length of the roof is well protected from the rain. There is good headroom along the length of the van which is an advantage with two single beds.

I agree with everything that Nigel_W has written about the Bilbo's roof. I would like to add that the material used is very hard wearing - at least what they used in 2004 and I cannot see that it is any different from that fitted in our new van. I might add that the narrow vent running the length of the roof is well protected from the rain. There is good headroom along the length of the van which is an advantage with two single beds.
We have a Nexa coming next week…very excited. Can you tell me how deep is the shelf over the cab when the roof is elevated please?
thank you
jane

My wife and I went to the Caravan/Camper Show at the NEC today, in the main to look at ideas for our planned T6 conversion. We came back with some of our existing equipment choices changed, reconsidered or worth detailed review so we thought we'd share.

1. Side elevating roofs as fitted by Bilbos are much better than we thought they would be, provided great interior headroom but would be perfect if the panels zipped out or at least the clear windows opened.

2. The Wallas XC Duo is a bloomin fantastic device, silent operation, tiny fuel use, ready to cook on in 5 mins, allows you in the Chunnel, very safe as no gas is burned inside the vehicles BUT sits proud of the worktop. Wondered later if it can be inset flush with the worktop and the hot air vented through a step in the unit....

3. The CAN LC1701 'Foldy' sink and burner combo is a masterpiece of intelligent design, were it not for the XC Duo we'd have this fitted plus an eberspacher, the XC Duo wins in our minds however as it is safer.

4. We didn't realise it was possible to be excited about a fridge but turns out it is ! The new Dometic CRX 65 D pull out Fridge/Freezer is another object of cleverness and desire, £970 retail but £570 'show offer' & will likely be added to cart if it'll fit. It's nowhere on the internet yet as far as I can see but it is to campervan fridges what slideout sides are to American RV's.

5. The Vango Airway Cruz II and Kela IV are both really clever drive away awnings but I like the Hexaway the most.

6. USB and mains power sockets which rise on pillars out of worktops are cool as are subtle 'accent' LEDs.

7. Finally......based on what we saw, the roads are soon to be filled with the frail and elderly driving huge motorhomes. We joked about this with someone we knew working at the show in the industry and he shared the same view, a new influx of first time 'campers' in shiny do it all motorhomes with failing bodies & eyesight, getting stuck on singletrack roads in the Dales and under height barriers at Tesco............ now where did I put the Grecian 2000.

:)
So......non of these things made it into the van I designed myself then specified and commissioned to be built for me in 2018 and I'm still using to this day. I've travelled throughout the UK and Europe, non would have served me well on my trips so please don't listen to me I have no idea what I'm doing apart from getting the most comfortable bed you can and a Duvalay.

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Back