am looking to purchase a van for conversion and would appreciate advice on the engine options.

Irvine101

VIP Member
T6 Pro
i am looking to purchase a van for conversion and would appreciate advice on the engine options. The majority of vans for sale are 102bhp and i wonder if this has sufficient power for a conversion. Is the extra cost of a bigger bhp worth paying for? Do drivers of 102bhp vans find them ok or underpowered?

The van will be a daily vehicle so the majority of miles will be for a daily commute.

Hi, the main factor I looked at was the 6 speed gearbox with the 140/150 bhp as the gearbox can handle power better and better range/economy, if having converted the extra power/torque will definately come in handy with the extra standard weight. A few friends I know have the lower bhp and albeit had tuned higher wished they would have gone for the 6 speed.

I have got 140bhp LWB Kombi and feel it needs a little more power. TBH no mater what I had I would aways want more (and I am talking about power) but even the wife as commented on it feeling a bit slow but I suppose driving style also comes in to play.

Hi @Rob, I did take the plunge and had this remapped, they did say approx 180 but not had on the rolling road as too tight to pay extra, standard performance map and feels a lot better and responsive without any noticeable consumption impact

Mines a 180bhp lwb. Goes very well and tows a car on a trailer with no problem

Hi @Rob, I did take the plunge and had this remapped, they did say approx 180 but not had on the rolling road as too tight to pay extra, standard performance map and feels a lot better and responsive without any noticeable consumption impact

It is some I want to do and nearly had it done a couple of times now but what is stopping me is as few have already taken there's in for recall/update and the thought of everytime it goes in for a service and they do something I will have to go and get the remap installed again.

I have no issues with my 140 as a daily driver, plenty of power and good mpg, but I wouldn't want less than a 6speed box.

It is some I want to do and nearly had it done a couple of times now but what is stopping me is as few have already taken there's in for recall/update and the thought of everytime it goes in for a service and they do something I will have to go and get the remap installed again.

Mines been in for recall (software update) and nothing was reset, all coding etc still there
Warranty guy said they only update one particular module - not sure which one but guessing its central electrics or the main onboard control unit ??

I will have a look into again then but need purchase sone new wheels first (When her in doors allows me)

Back