Am I Being Stupid?? Swivel Seats

Discussion in 'Interiors, Seating, Lining' started by craigblues, 13 Jul 2018.

1. craigblues

craigblues Member VCDS User VIP Member T6 Pro

Evening all.

Got two front seats in my new van with swivel seats. Driver seat is a nightmare to turn round. Bumps into everything and leaning at alsorts of awkward positions trying to hold front back lever and then swivel lever. Am I doing something wrong?

Also you have to put handbrake down, surely this is a safety issue? Admittedly is auto so park will hold it but if you had a manual what do you do? Leave it in gear?

2. VWROBERT

VWROBERT Senior Member T6 Guru

Map
    Hi I have swivel seats too, yes drivers side is more difficult to turn than passenger side. I found you need to adjust back rest forwards slide seat back then rotate seat. Oh and yes you need to release handbrake while rotating seat ensuring your are in P and lift handbrake once seat is in position.

3. andys

andys Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Yes the driver's seat is always more awkward. As well as suggestions above, I find it helps to unlock the steering wheel adjustment and let it move freely while you're rotating the seat

4. Peatey

Peatey Treacle Miner VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    On a slightly different note, does any one know if you can take the factory swivel off to leave a non swiveling seat?

5. Deaky

Deaky On yer bike VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    No you can’t. It’s part of the frame above the seat runners.

6. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    So if it’s above the runners is it integral to the seat ie you would need to swap the seat to get rid of the swivel ?

7. Deaky

Map
    I beleive you can just swap the seat base frame. The swivel mechanism replaces the height adjustment

8. Peatey

Peatey Treacle Miner VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    That's the next thing to look at I need to try and lower the seat about 25-30mm, then I might be able to see out and reach the handbrake

9. Deaky

Map
  10. Leigh

Leigh Senior Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Tried this & it's a complete nightmare of a job.

Ended up swapping over seats from one van to another