Altro flooring or something else?

luvie

I have a carpet fitted to my van which is now pretty dirty and past saving. What’s the best flooring to use in the back of a day van / camper..also the best place to buy it. Price conscious and his is it stuck down if you go the Altro route?

I've fitted Altro flooring to my last two vans. Excellent stuff if you want that kind of 'look'. I don't think you'll get better or harder wearing. I've always properly screeded it down. Get it from flooringhut along with the F44 Styccobond adhesive.

I have an altro floor for sale but it has cutouts for kombi seats and twin sliders so probably no good to you but i agree with @Donk ,great stuffIMG_0468.jpg

I’ve ordered 3m lengths before. There’s normally a discount code to be had somewhere.

We didn’t bother with adhesive in our T6 camper. The Altro is held in place on the drivers side by the furniture, at the back by the bed and the rear threshold, at the front by a carpet strip, and on the passenger side by the side door step.
No signs of it moving or rippling at all.

Gluing it might be the best overall solution, but I was worried about positioning the Altro incorrectly, and not being able to move it, or tearing it in doing so.

Pete

Having used the ply flooring as a template to get the shape right I just started at the front and worked backwards. Quickly - especially if it’s hot as the adhesive starts to set. Make sure the adhesive is spread evenly, fairly thinly and as you lay it make sure you remove any bubbles so that its nice and even and flat. You’ll be fine!

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I will have to clean my ply well after removing the glued down carpet. What’s the best carpet/cab strip to use?

I've always used carpet but always high quality nursing home or hospital quality. It's seriously hard wearing and easily cleanable, mostly resisting various 'nasties' that may get onto it.

I consider carpet on top of a raised ply floor on Celotex insulation for the REIMO seat track gives good sound and heat insulation plus the comfort of bare feet on the floor in a morning!

Rod

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I will have to clean my ply well after removing the glued down carpet. What’s the best carpet/cab strip to use?

Only picture I could find showing the flooring strip. This is from Wickes.

Only63606D5C-BC6F-483F-BE2A-51DF046982E9.jpeg

I noticed flooring hut is a about £75 more price wise than anywhere else approx .. any reason ?

Hmm. Can’t be the same stuff. I paid the cheapest price basically that I could find. Should be around the £110 mark with adhesive! If the adhesive is about £25 then the flooring is around £85 - at that rate you’d be expecting the flooring for £10! Just check the amounts in your basket.

Thanks rod where do you pick up a small amount of carpet like that quality ?

I've used a local carpet supplier who also supplies contract fitters, in a couple of instances they have had off-cuts that were suitable and in others I have had to get them to order it in for me. They are happy to get small quantities.
I think almost all that I have used (I've done five conversions) have been from Joseph Hamilton & Seaton Commercial Carpets & Office Carpet Tile Suppliers, JHS Carpets, if you look at their range you can filter for hospital quality.
It's not cheap but things rarely are if you want the quality.

Back