Air Beam Tent Reviews/advice

Jimmi

Television Lighting Engineer
T6 Guru
Heres a question for the non pop top camper massive! I’m looking at buying a new tent, I have no experience of airbeam tents however they look quick and easy so that’s what I’m getting.
Question is does anyone have one they recommend or any they would stay well clear of. I like the look of the Berghaus, but real people reviews are always best.

Can't help on which to buy but I do have a tip. I bought an air awning for my caravan which is made up of individual sections which link in the corners by short tubes and isolation valves, meaning if you were unlucky enough to have a leak you can isolate the faulty section, unzip it and repair without dropping the whole lot. Potentially worth the extra cost.

Just thought it worth a mention, have a look at the Khyam quick erect system tents.
Instead of inflatable tubes it uses an umbrella type pole system which is remarkably quick and easy.
We have both and the one we use the most is the Khyam so perhaps worth a look.

We have a couple of airbeam tent for camping and absolutely love them.

i got fed up with all the agro of setting up pole tents for short camping stays.

They have there pros & cons:

Pros:
super fast to setup (especially with a 12v air pump)
very sturdy in all weathers
simple to repair if you get a leak

Cons:
Expensive in comparison
very large packed down size
very heavy packed down size

we have this one with the porch:

20170819_200940.jpg

CampLog101

The best (and original) "airbeam" tents, regarded as the "Rolls Royce" of tents, are made by Karsten, a Dutch company that have been making to a similar design for 30+ years - totally different class to those from the likes of Vango, etc., e.g. rather than around 8 to 12 PSI, you inflate these to around 60 PSI - none of the more recent designs come close in terms of stability and breathability. The main downside is they are several times more expensive, though they will easily last for 20+ years of regular use. As an example, we have a 2014 one, complete with all the extra awnings, etc., that we are considering selling later this year and, realistically, would expect to get around £2k for it.

UK Importer:- Home

I have an airbeam awning and love it. My mate has a Berghaus airbeam tent and it’s superb. I wouldn’t hesitate to get one if I didn’t have the camper

Last edited:
I have an airbeam awning and live it. My mate has a Berghaus airbeam tent and it’s superb. I wouldn’t hesitate to get one if I didn’t have the camper
The Berghaus caught my eye because it was reasonably priced. My last tent was a Berghaus and despite my kids doing their best to wreck it, it’s actually still in pretty good nick.

Had an outdoor revolution air beam drive away.
As mentioned in the cons above; it was flipping enormous when bagged, and chuffing heavy too. Whilst it may be a weird thing to say, but was a con for me, the one I had wouldn’t hold itself rigid and had to be pegged and roped in order to maintain its structure. I often have to camp in locations where it is impossible to peg out.
I can’t think of any particular pro’s that this airbeam has over any other conventional awning. It took forever to put it up.

Only advantages that I find with air beam...I can put it up on my own in the garage to dry it out...but the main advantage is when it’s pississsssing down, we can pack everything up under the awning, open valves and then pull everything into a large duvet cover inside the van without getting too wet.. that’s a Kampa drive away awning but it will be similar for a tent.

Has anyone used/owned a Kampa Brean - Airbeam or Pole version. Not a drive-away awning as such but a freestanding tent. Polycotton or nylon. Pros/cons?

Has anyone used/owned a Kampa Brean - Airbeam or Pole version. Not a drive-away awning as such but a freestanding tent. Polycotton or nylon. Pros/cons?
I’ve got the Kampa Studland Classic Air (polycotton), it is superb. It’s an 8 man tent but largely similar to the Brean I think. We had a couple of Outwell Vermont airbeams but they all had quality issues where they wouldn’t stay up or if they did they leaked like a sieve.

Kampa Studland is brilliant, we camped this weekend in 50mph gusts, naturally it wobbles about a bit but because it is heavy it stays put. As with any air beam the pack size and weight is huge but as a T6 owner this won’t bother you.

this is my first polycotton tent and I would now never go back to polyester. The difference in quietness and no flapping material in wind plus better temp control and very quiet in the rain makes for much more peaceful sleeping. They are excellent and Kampa gets my vote for great quality at a fraction of the cost of the likes of Outwell.

I’ve got the Kampa Studland Classic Air (polycotton), it is superb. It’s an 8 man tent but largely similar to the Brean I think. We had a couple of Outwell Vermont airbeams but they all had quality issues where they wouldn’t stay up or if they did they leaked like a sieve.

Kampa Studland is brilliant, we camped this weekend in 50mph gusts, naturally it wobbles about a bit but because it is heavy it stays put. As with any air beam the pack size and weight is huge but as a T6 owner this won’t bother you.

this is my first polycotton tent and I would now never go back to polyester. The difference in quietness and no flapping material in wind plus better temp control and very quiet in the rain makes for much more peaceful sleeping. They are excellent and Kampa gets my vote for great quality at a fraction of the cost of the likes of Outwell.
Thank you, that's good to hear!

Polycotton you have the whole proofing / reproofing thing. Do you still have to avoid touching the inside when it's wet? Agree that it is a much nicer environment.

weve got a Kampa Studland 8 Air. ( WeathershieldTM 150D ) - normal nylon tent material.

Absolutely love it. , , , ,

Though we originally went in to buy the Kampa Studland 8 Classic Air. ( Advanced polycotton material )

as we had walk tested both tents on the hottest day of the year in 2019 and the difference between the polycotton and regular tent material was night and day . . . SOOOO COOL !!

it was awesome,

BUT, the sales guy told us some home truths about the poly cotton material . . and how it need to be looked after.

needs to be wrapped up perfectly dry,
needs retreating,
can leak at first untill weathered,
more expensive,
much heavier bag to carry and lift,
larger bag when packed down . .

in the end it seemed to us that pollycotton was best for hotter trips away like europe and the like, and maybe not so suitable for the UK . . .

so we went for the normal version . . .

but there are times . . . when i wished i had chosen pollycotton . . . ? - maybe next time.

one tip the guy gave us was to us CAMO netting over the top of the tent in summer to reduce the heating in the tent . . . (as seen on roof below)

and we gotta say it did work . . . though no was as cool as the polly cotton version.

camping world normally have them both pitched up outside so you can go play with them . . . . . .

1598297358311.png1598297419953.png
FWIW:

we have a 6man HiGear Stratus 600 airbeam too . . . (and air porch)

1598297512874.png

and a Vango Airbeam HezHub . .

1598297585176.png

Airbeam is 100% the way to go . . .

just get yourself a 12v air pump . . . . !!!!

we have thisd one . . .

1598297681560.png

and this bag . . .

1598297714117.png

1598297489450.png

Last edited:
Back