Advice Needed On Buying A T6.

DSG or 6 Speed manual? Van to cover 400k miles in about 5 years. 85+% motorway millage.

• DSG

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • 6 speed manual

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Was thinking about that this is one of the options, I only wander how much would that be to convert it?
I did one a few years ago cost me £3500 with rear seats, TV, Led lighting, rear camera, sound & insulation with new headlining.

IMG_4051.jpg IMG_7570.jpg IMG_7557.jpg IMG_4051.jpg

Hi guys!

Looking for help in buying the right T6 for my needs.
I'm a courier driver - I do long distances mostly. I cover 2-2,5k miles a week. Currently drive Ford Transit Connect L2 powershift - really like it but was always interested in VW Transporters. I'm an ex HGV Class 1 so a bigger size is an only advantage.
Due to my customer needs I have to buy a bigger van. I want to keep the van as long as possible and hopefully cover 400k miles before I change it, mainly because it will loose value very quickly due to high millage.
Version I'm after is 150 6 Speed manual or 7 speed DSG (I consider both SWB and LWB versions). Ideally if its a combi van 5 or 6 seater (this to be confirmed this week, I'm searching for reasonably priced courier insurance for more than 3 seats). Back seats are to be taken out for 98% of the millage covered , only need them occasionally during leisure trips, we also have sold a car as my wife now travels by train to work so even if insurance is more expensive the cost could be similar of having a second car just to sit on a driveway waiting for the occasion to take more than 3 people. I usually transport small pallets totalling of 100-400kg.
My ideal van would be a 5-6 seater, DSG, barn doors, "sportline" look van (lowered, bigger wheels, sportline bumpers), I'm also thinking of converting it into camper van one day).

Right, here are my questions:

1. What gearbox would you recommend? (Is DSG (I love automatics) a reliable gearbox worth the extra money? 85% of my millage are motorways, ,fuel consumption is quite important.

2. Is tailgate removable to install barn doors? (sometimes I get loaded by a fork lift, can you squeeze UK pallet through a side door? , or is it possible to rise tailgate higher to allow fork lift to load it through the back?)

3. Once the back seats are removed is it possible to install temporary bulkhead to be easily removable?

4. Is it possible to upgrade later on wing mirrors to be power folding, replace the seats (front ones) to be heated?

5. Is anyone using Android Auto? (This is very important to me as I use it all the time, all day long, If VW original Sat Nav with Android Auto isn't working properly this will be first thing I change).

6. Would you recommend buying a ready made "sportline" look van or rather buy a standard and converting myself?

7. Can anyone confirm if service period is shorter in DSG models comparing to manual gearboxes? (It is on my Ford Transit Connect which I was not aware of).

Sorry for the long post but would really appreciate any advice.
Hi guys!

Looking for help in buying the right T6 for my needs.
I'm a courier driver - I do long distances mostly. I cover 2-2,5k miles a week. Currently drive Ford Transit Connect L2 powershift - really like it but was always interested in VW Transporters. I'm an ex HGV Class 1 so a bigger size is an only advantage.
Due to my customer needs I have to buy a bigger van. I want to keep the van as long as possible and hopefully cover 400k miles before I change it, mainly because it will loose value very quickly due to high millage.
Version I'm after is 150 6 Speed manual or 7 speed DSG (I consider both SWB and LWB versions). Ideally if its a combi van 5 or 6 seater (this to be confirmed this week, I'm searching for reasonably priced courier insurance for more than 3 seats). Back seats are to be taken out for 98% of the millage covered , only need them occasionally during leisure trips, we also have sold a car as my wife now travels by train to work so even if insurance is more expensive the cost could be similar of having a second car just to sit on a driveway waiting for the occasion to take more than 3 people. I usually transport small pallets totalling of 100-400kg.
My ideal van would be a 5-6 seater, DSG, barn doors, "sportline" look van (lowered, bigger wheels, sportline bumpers), I'm also thinking of converting it into camper van one day).

Right, here are my questions:

1. What gearbox would you recommend? (Is DSG (I love automatics) a reliable gearbox worth the extra money? 85% of my millage are motorways, ,fuel consumption is quite important.

2. Is tailgate removable to install barn doors? (sometimes I get loaded by a fork lift, can you squeeze UK pallet through a side door? , or is it possible to rise tailgate higher to allow fork lift to load it through the back?)

3. Once the back seats are removed is it possible to install temporary bulkhead to be easily removable?

4. Is it possible to upgrade later on wing mirrors to be power folding, replace the seats (front ones) to be heated?

5. Is anyone using Android Auto? (This is very important to me as I use it all the time, all day long, If VW original Sat Nav with Android Auto isn't working properly this will be first thing I change).

6. Would you recommend buying a ready made "sportline" look van or rather buy a standard and converting myself?

7. Can anyone confirm if service period is shorter in DSG models comparing to manual gearboxes? (It is on my Ford Transit Connect which I was not aware of).

Sorry for the long post but would really appreciate any advice.
Hi Bart, I have my dsg Kombi for 3 weeks, never had automatic before, I love it, I was on m1 yesterday, did 400 miles and averaged 39.41mpg doing 70-80 and it is just a dream to drive. IMO 100% dsg. It is the 204 dsg btw.

I had adaptive cruise control in a rental vehicle last year and loved it, really good option and it's also designed to stop you rear ending someone when you're around town

Have specced it in mine - if it prevents one bump it's paid for itself many times over

Hi guys! I think, I have found one. It's a 16 plate Highline 140bhp 6 speed (decided to go for manual for work, if it was was leisure - automatics all the way). Can someone tell me why is it 140bhp not 150bhp? Is it because newer versions had different maps or entire engines? It's a 70k, I'm gonna inspect it /test drive it again, what should I particularity look at? Any advice?

Confirmed! This is Euro5 model... Now I know why the price for it is quite attractive, I do drive to Central London only occasionally (95% of my jobs are not even close to London) but I'm little afraid of the future, about permanent ban for Euro5's....

Back