AdBlue tank protection from rodents

Chris44

I have just heard from my VW dealer that the reason I have been getting an "ad blu" warning message is due to rodents chewing through the cables under the ad blu tank. Apparently they can smell the sweetness of the ad blu and try to chew through to get to it. This is going to cost me £1800 which is bad enough but worse is that I have to park the van on my drive so any suggestions how I can stop this happening again would be gratefully appreciated.

Chris

This has popped up before..

Rodent damage to cables under van.

It's been said it's more to to with the rubber sheathing on the cable?.... They like it for some reason.

Various sensors under van.

There are a few threads on the matter.

We'll see if we can get the links.

Yep that's the one....Soy.

Other post mentioned getting the wire repaired/replaced.

Then use standard anti rodent measures.

Mint oil, wire wool. Tin foil.over wrapping loom . Etc .

Rats have learned that chewing through pipes often gives them a source of water. What they haven't learned is the difference between water pipes and cables.

Last edited:
They seem to be able to sense voltage though. I had a rat in a wall void, out of desperation I built a 240v ‘dance floor‘ with the ‘bar’ with nuts at the far end. It took 3 months for it to cross over.
Like most pests the best method of keeping them out of your area is to have somewhere more appealing elsewhere.
Most cities are infested, if you don’t want them eating your car provide an alternative.

Back