AdBlue issues - remap related?

JFWerkstatt

joshuaaitken
VCDS User
Trade Member
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Currently sat at VW Commercial in Tewkesbury....

I had a caution on the way back from Devon yesterday. AdBlue top up and spanner in amber.
The van now tells me it’s got 650 miles range until no start. Naturally I topped the AdBlue up, no register at f this on the trip computer. Now it says 600 miles.

I scanned using vcds and got the following:

33262 - Reductant System Performance Bank 1
P204F 00 [100] - Malfunction
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 187651 km
Date: 2042.01.00
Time: 14:30:46

Engine speed: 1918.00 /min
Normed load value: 83.9 %
Vehicle speed: 105 km/h
Coolant temperature: 91 °C
Intake air temperature: 24 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 12.984 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Simulated particle filter surface temperature: 326.5 °C
Reducing agent fill level sensor: act. value: 75 mm
Sensor for reducing agent tank temperature: temperature: 25.5 °C
Calculated NOx concentration behind turbocharger: 0 ppm
NOx sens.dwnstrm.SCR cat conv: NOx conc.: 70 ppm
Reducing agent quality sensor: urea concentration: 0.00 %

31103 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1
P20EE 00 [100] - Efficiency too Low
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 187635 km
Date: 2042.01.00
Time: 14:21:12

Engine speed: 1843.50 /min
Normed load value: 59.6 %
Vehicle speed: 101 km/h
Coolant temperature: 91 °C
Intake air temperature: 25 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.031 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Air mass at air mass meter 1: 165.6 kg/h
Extern.temp.sens.1 bank 1: raw value: 24.0 °C
Mass airflow sensor 1 bank 1 airflow: raw value: 760.8 mg/stroke
Throttl.valve adapt. 1 bank 1: posit feedback - Act.value: 64.17 %
NOx sensor before SCR cat conv: offset correction factor: 0 ppm
NOx sensor after SCR cat conv: offset correction factor: 95 ppm
Reducing agent quality sensor: urea concentration: 0.00 %
Reducing agent quality sensor: raw temperature value: 0.0 °C

bit of reading suggests a VW software update may fix the issue so, that’s being done now.
The van is mapped and I’ve been told that it’ll remove the map - fair enough I’ll have to have it redone.
I just thought I’d create a post to log another AdBlue fault and will update once the issue is resolved.
Josh

The van is mapped and I’ve been told that it’ll remove the map - fair enough I’ll have to have it redone.

the new software update from VW will wipe the "tuned map" . . . . . .as it is a brand new "map",

so if you have it re-mapped . . . . then you are just going right back to square one . . . . over writing the NEW map, back with an OLD map?

unless the Mapping company have produced a NEW map that incorporates the changes made by VW to the adblu system . . . ie new fueling and ad blue strategy . . .

that appears to use more ad-blue and more often and more regen activity according some feed back . . .

I wondered about this but didn't think the adblue settings would be something adjusted with remap. ??

Had a similar issue when topping up with AdBlue and the system not recognising/registering it. Booked into VW tomorrow for a software update (and oil leak investigation).

im happy to stand corrected at any point by anyone more in the know than i . . . . .

but as far as i was aware the adblue side of things is part of the engine "map" that lives in the Engine ECU.

the map controls everything to do with the engine, ie injection,glow plugs,turbo, pressures, DPF, regens etc etc ...

so the ablue and emissions are all part of the same map.

Map tuners normally take the OEM map and tweek it on a rolling road and out in the open for real world tests . . .

they normally play with boost pressures, injection timing, MAf, MAP etc etc to adjust the power curve for more power but keep it within the physical limits of the engine.

so assuming that VW have developed a NEW MAP that has the adblue tweeks . . . . . then the tuners need to take a copy of that new map, and make a new-new map with the performance tweeks added again (and roling road tested again). . .

if you over write the new VW map with your old tuned map you are just overwriting the new code with old.

im assuming most reputable tuners like Revo & Pendle will be already on it with the new map that incorporates the adblue changes VW made?

maybe @BognorMotors may have some info? (Resident REVO Tuners)

Reactions: mmi
Would be interested to know for sure .
I was running a pendle remap when I had all my issues ( I do NOT blame the pendle map ) , and this was wiped when software was updated .
Martin kindly agreed to reinstall the map , but the 700 mile round trip , fuel , time etc was a problem for me & just wasn't managing to get down to him even pre covid .
I did wonder though if the updated software would get the bits that sorted my problems wiped with the remap going back on ......
So , now have revo map on instead ( four mile round trip to get that done ! )

bit of reading suggests a VW software update may fix the issue so, that’s being done now.
I just thought I’d create a post to log another AdBlue fault and will update once the issue is resolved.
Josh
Any chance to share VCDS scans before/after the update (sections 01, 02, 22 + first 11 digits of VIN) please?

Before we remap anything, we upload the latest factory software available onto the vehicle, and this is what the map works from if that makes sense. We can’t apply the map until the latest software is present . All the present settings for add blue etc are carried over and all safety parameters kept in place.

So that implys that the Revo tweeked map is adjusting parameters....... in a different part of the map.

If the OEM latest version is required as a base map....

Then the revo tweeked map must not fully over write 100% of the code.... just edit some of the map data....in certain location of the ECU data map.

So from that you could assume that they are using the latest update.

Though Vw said I didn't need an update when I took mine in for 1sr service.. my18.

TBf I don’t write the software so I’d have to raise this with Revo. It’s just makes sense to have the latest factory software first, and you always do this prior to uploading the map.

I’ll see exactly what I can find out for you.

Though Vw said I didn't need an update when I took mine in for 1sr service.. my18.
When it was? The update for panel van engine CXEB came available in March 2020.
Could you please share VCDS scan sections 01, 02.

Thanks everyone for Your inputs.
VW were unsuccessful in loading the software which is update 3546 for reference. They’ve put it down to the vehicle being remapped. Charged me £114 for the privilege also. They also told me that the dpf has a calculated 34g of soot built up and that they cannot force a regen even by telling the van there is a new dpf installed.
Anyway, I’ve spoken to the guy that mapped the van and he now wants to do some fault diagnosis of his own to check injector efficiency, boost pressure actual vs demanded etc. So, what do I do? Pay to get the map removed then book it in for the software update? Or do I let the mapper deal with it and see if he can work it out? I’d have thought he can answer this by his pre map health checks...? If they were even done.

I don’t want to get too stuck on the issue being caused by software as the van has 116700 miles so it’s about time for some wear and tear to show itself.
See the conversation below, be interesting to read your opinions.

F1CBA6D7-F779-4D91-8848-6A93A92B37A6.jpeg

E8C34FE2-C9CD-46E3-B063-B6F6B26117C4.jpeg

A89956BE-9873-4BAC-A97F-61C93325B3FE.jpeg

FD54F1FC-56F3-4FC9-BE86-10A40CD7B1EC.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven’t phoned him yet, going to pop in and see him. Couple of questions....

How would a dpf issue stop software being loaded like VW say? I’m not sure it would?

Do I just get the map removed and take it to VW for the software update? If it works then happy days - learn not to use flash mappers? (All done on a dyno but I’m sure the files are from a subscription and ‘tweaked’ to suit certain vehicles).

How do I go about clawing some of the £500-£1000 this will have cost me back? Do I just take it on the chin and learn a lesson?

just for your peace of mind, my 150 isn't mapped, and at 39k it jumped too 6000miles adblu, and then down too 600 in a jiffy, and then back up to 6000... its been at 6000 for the last 2,000miles.

Local mechanic plugged in his machine and just said "theres that many fault codes showing, i cant even find anything to do with adblu" hahahaha

SO yeah, when i get a minute ill take it in, but for now, im just going to keep it topped up. BUGGER IT

Everyone I’ve spoken to is telling me to get a base map flashed back onto it, VW, Bognor, REVO, Veehub, and my brother.

I’ve asked the mapper to fit it in and flash the base map back on but he wants to do his own diagnostics first - alarm bells ring now as he won’t give me an answer on when he can simply just flash the standard map back into it.... makes me think he wants to do something else first.

So, I’m going to play it this way.
I’m going to get a base map flashed back on by someone independent.
I’ll then try and force regen the DPF and clear some of the soot. if this works I’ll get the software updated to the level mentioned above and go from there. If it doesn’t work I’ll pull the dpf off and clean it, then try again to forge regen.
Then get a REVO map!

Back