Adblue Damaged Tank Cover

bblake

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So took my 21 plate T30 SWB Kombi in for 14,000 service today at local VW dealership.
Received an online health check from the VW dealership stating that 'Adblue tank cover is damaged' with a quote for £236.00 to replace it. Was also provided with photos, see below. Technician had gone home when I went to pick the van up and no one could tell me what the damage was or if the cover was actually missing!
Can anyone hazard a guess from the pictures if I am missing it or if its damaged?!
I am a little concerned by a wiring connection that seems to be 'showing' underneath which leads me to think that a panel is missing.
Anyone else had this issue?
Any help/guidance from the forum much appreciated as always!
Image.jpegImage (1).jpegImage (2).jpeg
IMG_7710.jpg

Get a cost breakdown for parts and labour quoted, the part number should then be listed.
There is no reason why it has to be carried out by a VW dealership, any garage can do it.

So took my 21 plate T30 SWB Kombi in for 14,000 service today at local VW dealership.
Received an online health check from the VW dealership stating that 'Adblue tank cover is damaged' with a quote for £236.00 to replace it. Was also provided with photos, see below. Technician had gone home when I went to pick the van up and no one could tell me what the damage was or if the cover was actually missing!
Can anyone hazard a guess from the pictures if I am missing it or if its damaged?!
I am a little concerned by a wiring connection that seems to be 'showing' underneath which leads me to think that a panel is missing.
Anyone else had this issue?
Any help/guidance from the forum much appreciated as always!
View attachment 175213View attachment 175214View attachment 175215
View attachment 175216
I had the same, my local garage sourced and replaced it after VW flagged the missing cover. Seems like a common problem.

will get some detailed info tomorrow from the dealer, including the part number.
@russvphoto if you don't mind me asking how much was it to source the part and get this done locally?

Reactions: LZM
will get some detailed info tomorrow from the dealer, including the part number.
@russvphoto if you don't mind me asking how much was it to source the part and get this done locally?
Hi, In December 2020, the cover was £65, a damaged bracket was £20 and fitting was £40

The covers get ripped off by driving through puddles / floods, plenty of cases reported on the Forum.
Probably not a great design if it’s so common.
In the marine engineering world care is taken to overlap surfaces so that they are layered to protect against the current flow. Ie no lip to get caught in the current and lifted.

I replaced mine as it was missing in March this year.
It was £121 from a VW Dealer with the fixings and VAT.
I fitted it myself, it fits into place the the fixings just push on.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback on this issue. After looking into it I took the decision to source the part, buy some van ramps and treat myself to some new tools and fix it myself.
Now I know it’s a relatively simple job for most in this forum but as a van owner of four months even this made me nervous!
I know the VW dealership wanted nearly £300 to do this which is criminal, but shout out to the parts department which knew exactly what they were talking about and had everything on the shelf including the new fixings. Just under £100 for everything needed inc vat.
Have to shout out @BognorMotors as well for coming back to me with a really competitive and honest quote to get this done had I not fancied doing it myself.
Another shout out for Simply Surf in Bristol where the van is from. Lots of advice, always on the end of a phone if required, so annoying that I am based over 100 miles away! Cheers Dan
So in the end it looks like the cover had taken a knock and basically had bent it out of shape and broken one of the push on fittings. Once all fixings were removed the cover came off easily. Had to cut out the small section for side bar fitting but apart from that the new cover went on really easily. Just make sure you note exactly where each fitting goes. I took pictures of everything as I went which was a big help.
The one thing that does make me angry before I sign off is how the VW dealership left a wiring loom just hanging from the underneath of the van, almost to make the issue look bad in the pictures. It simply needed clipping onto its mount and the wires then clip with onto the side of the adblue tank cover sidewall.
So satisfying, enjoyed it in fact!
Thanks for everyone’s help on the forum.

Has anyone ever managed to find a better product for protecting the add blue tank and fuel tank?
I’ve seen a 5mm aluminium one by N5 in France but that seems like it’s for off road bashing. I just want to drive on the road without the plastic under covers falling off whenever they see a puddle. I’m about to replace for the 3rd time in 3 years. Second time I went through a puddle which was about 3 inches deep and it not only ripped the cover off but the cover it seems is screwed in part to the bottom of the add blue tank which decided to crack and as the cover departed the underside of the van it also ripped through the wires to the tank causing the van to stop and not start again (Recovery from Cumbria back to Essex). That repair cost a fortune. Like I say, it’s about to be replaced for the 3rd time and this time they need to repair those wires where they go through the floor pan under the passenger seat. I haven’t got a cost for the repairs to the wires yet but VW have quoted £288.00 just to investigate. I’d love it if there was something stronger which could withstand puddles.

Reactions: SMB
Any part numbers for those parts as I've now lost my second set of covers on my raised swamper style van. Its been really wet round here and the covers seem to be soluble.
Im looking to either bolt them on myself or fab a replacement out of aluminium and out that on.

Anyone already offer a pre-fabbed aluminium cover?

Hey @LZM
Sorry to hear about the second ad blue cover.
Have taken a photo of the invoice from when I purchased the replacement cover from local vw dealer.
This was for a swb t30 T6.1.
Part numbers are on top left hand side of invoice.
Hope you get it sorted soon.

IMG_2765.jpeg

Hi bblake
Thank you so much for the part numbers, much appreciated.

I've found the following on the infamous ebay

but of course its expensive, foreign so needs importing and duty paid.

So may well look to get a standard plastic cover and see how difficult it would be to fab something similar in ally?

Back