Accidentally put in biodiesel! Help!

Ian_T6

T6 Pro
Heading over to the Outer Hebrides and had 3/4 of a tank so thought I’d top up but didn’t notice it was biodiesel - Gleaner!

Have I just buggered my engine?!

I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought it would do any harm, especially since you were already 3/4 tank full.

Did you ask them at the fuel station?

Who can use biodiesel?
The government’s long-term goal is a carbon neutral transport network. This includes the introduction of the ‘renewable transport fuel obligation’ which means fuel suppliers to the transport industry must increase their use of renewable fuels. Car owners (with a diesel engine vehicle) can use biodiesel if their vehicle has been modified but do check with the manufacturer before attempting to run your vehicle on anything but the recommended fuels. For more information on biodiesel, and to request a quote.

From this website

I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought it would do any harm, especially since you were already 3/4 tank full.

Did you ask them at the fuel station?
No, it was only after I left that it dawned on me. There were no signs saying it was biodiesel, but I think Gleaner fuels are.

T

As mentioned by @Lord Mfwic I doubt topping up 1/4 of a tank one time will harm it.
Thanks! I hope you’re right!! Gutted...

according to the AA :

If you keep using E10 in a non-compatible vehicle it’s likely to result in problems but a single accidental fill isn’t a problem and there should be no need to drain the tank.

My T6 150ps Euro 6 has a big label under the filler cap saying “No Bio Diesel”, however at the pumps standard diesel is now marked B7 which means it has 7% bio diesel element to it.

How much bio element is in the diesel that you put it? If it’s B7 then I wouldn’t worry at all as that it what you get in most places now anyway and is standard diesel.

My T6 150ps Euro 6 has a big label under the filler cap saying “No Bio Diesel”, however at the pumps standard diesel is now marked B7 which means it has 7% bio diesel element to it.

How much bio element is in the diesel that you put it? If it’s B7 then I wouldn’t worry at all as that it what you get in most places now anyway and is standard diesel.
It was B7! Oh thank god! I’ve got the same engine as you as well...

You’re safe in that case, that’s a relief!

I had a look at the Gleaner website too, it looks like they are selling Shell fuels.

This AA link confirms that B7 is normal diesel.

You’re safe in that case, that’s a relief!

I had a look at the Gleaner website too, it looks like they are selling Shell fuels.

This AA link confirms that B7 is normal diesel.
That really is a relief!! Thanks for the details, my blood pressure is now back to normal! :)

Back