A Parents Nightmare 'insurance'

Interesting reading as our foster child is taking driving lessons and has her test booked in October.
She’s been with us since the age of 4 and is much loved and included in our family and as such we would love to help her get into her first car.
She has savings that will pay for the insurance and is constantly looking for a part time job whilst she attends college
Hopefully we can find a small reliable and safe motor , she’s not fussed on the make or model just wants and needs a bit of independence.

I gave a chum's son my old mum's 2007 Daewoo Matiz earlier in the year. It was the quick one mind, the 1.0, 5 speed with A/C. My mum had upgraded to that from her old 2001 850cc 3cyl! It cost him £1400 to insure - more than the car was worth. It wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. As any new driver, he has scraped it in a couple of places parking etc. No claims however. As other posters have said, that age group is the highest risk, and that's how much stuff costs these days. I was surprise myself, as it is almost an order of magnitude higher than the insurance on my Marina many years ago....

Oh, my 79 year old mum's insurance on the same car, when she gave up driving was £69 per year, fully comp. Not a typo, £69. Two tyres for the thing were only £39/pair.

Last edited:
I bloody hope so !

I was just reading back through this thread for something @Pauly when I noticed that the word 'bloody' that had been filtered automatically to 'bloomin' has now reverted back to 'bloody' I recall you mentioning that the filters had been relaxed, but does this mean all historical swear words that were filtered, have now automatically reverted back to what was originally typed? :eek:

I was just reading back through this thread for something @Pauly when I noticed that the word 'bloody' that had been filtered automatically to 'bloomin' has now reverted back to 'bloody' I recall you mentioning that the filters had been relaxed, but does this mean all historical swear words that were filtered, have now automatically reverted back to what was originally typed? :eek:
yes, the filtering happens on the fly as the posts are displayed..

yes, the filtering happens on the fly as the posts are displayed..

So as it's now been relaxed there are now potential long running threads that contain things like the F bomb? or is it just more minor words?

Back