A Parents Nightmare 'insurance'

I bloomin hope so !

You got to love your own built in filter that changes your word! Who says bloomin in the real world ? Did you have options to use that word when the filters were added, or could you edit it?

you wait until your daughter passes her test, and then all her mates turn up in there cars and you come home from work to park that nice van, and you have to park 2 days camal ride away from home:whistle:

You got to love your own built in filter that changes your word! Who says bloomin in the real world ? Did you have options to use that word when the filters were added, or could you edit it?
It’s customised, can you tell uncle@Loz did it and not me

Really useful thread. My son is 17 in Sept and once his GCSE s are completed I am sure we have a summer researching cars/insurance. There have been some really good ideas thanks.

We happen to know the owner of Marmalade and we were hoping we might get some 'mate rates' quotes but having read how 'sensitive' their black boxes are it may work out more expensive in the long run. We see a lot of youngsters in Polos so we had been focussing on them but I am heartened to read you have an A1 quote around £1200 @Tourershine as my son really likes them.

I hope the thread continues to develop as I think people's 'successses' will give me more ideas. Thanks again All

Did simular
I bought both my daughters first car vw polo
1.2 60 hp blue motion 14 plate & 16 plate
Lucky girls as father you are nervous for them being safe on the roads.. I did not want them running around in a motor with less safety features ...
However Did me no harm at that age ..
They both sort there insurance & running costs .
They both started with Tesco box insurance 6k max miles a year , dad named driver each was about £1700 for first year then £1400 second they are ready to ditch the box know being good girls with there driving & insurance with no box £1100
Best of luck

It’s a minefield. I sold a perfectly fine 53 plate Fiesta to buy a 14 plate 500 as the insurance was £1000 a year cheaper.

RE: Black boxes.... lethal. Take a ride with your offsprings similarly age friends and stare aghast as they stare constantly at the Speedo, occasionally looking up to see the road.... I was all for one until this happened! No black box bumped the policy £150 with Admiral - a price worth paying.

With the mileage I’d go high - No 1 daughter has done 2500 miles in 8 weeks - her job is a 9 mile round trip! She just loves driving, genetics I guess!

Just to drag up this thread that I started over a year ago, with a rather surprising outcome.

My daughter passed her test last week, and of course the obligatory car had to be purchased. We settled on a 2014 Mini One petrol auto, in Black as she wanted.
The fact she wanted to go straight for an auto was her choice after letting her drive her Mothers Mini Cooper, which is also auto, albeit the better 2018 gearbox. This narrowed our search right down, because finding a small car in auto, in Black isn't easy, but good old Sytner came up trumps again, with a 30k miles, 1 owner from new car. This was quickly secured, because I noticed a small discrepancy in the Sytner advert, which stated it had done 60k, but the picture of the clock stated 30k. Long story short, it had done 30k, and they'd made a mistake on the price, but had to honour it, as i'd secured the car:)

Anyway, this thread was started because of the insane prices my daughter was getting back to insure pretty much anything.
After running a few more number plates over the past few weeks, I noticed that the prices have dropped considerably, and we ended up getting her own policy, fully comp, with my wife as a named driver for just over £800, which for a new driver seemed way too low, but after speaking to the insurance company, is correct.

Interestingly, a good mate of mine has a son in the same position, but still getting insane prices. So we put his details through the comparison site, using my address, which instantly dropped his sons price from nearly £3000, to £1200. I'm well aware that postcodes effect insurance, but to that extent seems absolutely crazy.

Yes, she has to have a Black box fitted for the first year, and yes she is restricted to 6000 miles a year, which for her is totally fine, but she is now fully legal and out on the roads, which any Dad on here will know, is initially petrifying :eek: but after observing her driving abilities, and the fact she is quite a sensible kid, i'm now a little less stressed about my daughter being out on the roads alone.

Brings back memories reading this, my first car was a 1.2 corsa, it was 3 years old the insurance was 3.6k. I needed it for work and had a decent job so had to pay it, year after it reduced by 70%. That was in 2001 and it was ridiculous then, I don't know what year it started to go mental, I'd guess the 90s somewhere.

Talk about postcodes, I was unfortunate to have a high risk post code, if I insured it at my mates house 250metres away it was a k cheaper. Postcodes changed halfway down the road basically, always annoyed me!

Anyway good work on the mini, had one as my second car and I think even today they are great little things! :cool:

It does get better if they can build their own NCD, my son started with a 898cc Toyota Aygo for the first two years from the age of 17yrs. It was the lowest insurance bracket. Was £1k for 1st year & £800 the next year.
He now drives a BMW 1series M-sport at the age of 20 and is still paying £800. He's just got a quote on a M140i and that's only £1100! So perhaps your daughter will only have to wait a year or so to get the more exotic motors she desires. @Tourershine ?
(He has never had a black box fitted either) :thumbsup:

Just to drag up this thread that I started over a year ago, with a rather surprising outcome.

My daughter passed her test last week, and of course the obligatory car had to be purchased. We settled on a 2014 Mini One petrol auto, in Black as she wanted.
The fact she wanted to go straight for an auto was her choice after letting her drive her Mothers Mini Cooper, which is also auto, albeit the better 2018 gearbox. This narrowed our search right down, because finding a small car in auto, in Black isn't easy, but good old Sytner came up trumps again, with a 30k miles, 1 owner from new car. This was quickly secured, because I noticed a small discrepancy in the Sytner advert, which stated it had done 60k, but the picture of the clock stated 30k. Long story short, it had done 30k, and they'd made a mistake on the price, but had to honour it, as i'd secured the car:)

Anyway, this thread was started because of the insane prices my daughter was getting back to insure pretty much anything.
After running a few more number plates over the past few weeks, I noticed that the prices have dropped considerably, and we ended up getting her own policy, fully comp, with my wife as a named driver for just over £800, which for a new driver seemed way too low, but after speaking to the insurance company, is correct.

Interestingly, a good mate of mine has a son in the same position, but still getting insane prices. So we put his details through the comparison site, using my address, which instantly dropped his sons price from nearly £3000, to £1200. I'm well aware that postcodes effect insurance, but to that extent seems absolutely crazy.

Yes, she has to have a Black box fitted for the first year, and yes she is restricted to 6000 miles a year, which for her is totally fine, but she is now fully legal and out on the roads, which any Dad on here will know, is initially petrifying :eek: but after observing her driving abilities, and the fact she is quite a sensible kid, i'm now a little less stressed about my daughter being out on the roads alone.
Unless I’ve missed it, you don’t mention what size engine it has. The engine size often has the biggest impact on insurance prices, especially for new drivers.

It does get better if they can build their own NCD, my son started with a 898cc Toyota Aygo for the first two years from the age of 17yrs. It was the lowest insurance bracket. Was £1k for 1st year & £800 the next year.
He now drives a BMW 1series M-sport at the age of 20 and is still paying £800. He's just got a quote on a M140i and that's only £1100! So perhaps your daughter will only have to wait a year or so to get the more exotic motors she desires. @Tourershine ?

To be fair, the Mini is perfect for a couple of years, without the need to change it. Although it would be nice to put my stamp on the styling, but I've had strict instructions to leave alone for now.

I used to have a M240i and genuinely they are seriously quick cars, not that driving skill and age are linked but it's worrying its that cheap!

When our son turned 17 he was at college and was working part time at the local coop. We told him once he had saved up £1700 for insurance, we would buy him a car, then he would have to run it...

He had grand ideas of sporty cars ..... we put those ideas in the bin

So we bought a 2005 fiesta 1.25 which cost ,with both parents on the insurance about £1660

He’s now working and running around in a 2015 fiesta zetec s eco boost, and his insurance is now £742 .

We lent him the money to buy the zetec and imposed an insurance group limit on the loan .... so the sportier version wouldn’t get our help.

3 years NCD helped and to my surprise he hasn’t got a black box on the new car ....

My early days were spent in absolute heaps held together by ferrous oxide!

Back