A Journey Through Campervan Layouts

Carbon13

T6 Pro
We started with ' we want a campervan ' and have ended with ' we want to camp with a van ' .

We started looking last summer for a build which will now be completed later this year with our first trip through France and Spain for four weeks next Feb with a stay in a villa in the middle.

As a bit of a follow up to the post I made about visiting converters in and around Yorkshire I thought I'd post a very simple new layout we've settled on for a few views.

SWB T6 Highline Transporter 102hp - Pendle Map
Candy White with Indium Grey lower 1/2 respray or gloss Indium wrap. (Respray £900 - Wrap ? waiting quote)
Insulated and lined.
Windows and blackout curtains throughout inc rear doors/tailgate.
Webasto diesel heater.
Double seat swivel
No units or furniture
150cm RIB with cloth to match Highline trim - 200mm slide and isofox.
12v/230v power management system, 110ah leisure battery, EHU and towbar with 13 pin socket
12v/230v/USB sockets throughout
HiLo Roof with all the trimmings.
Awning rail.

The parcel shelf created by the RIB will carry plastic boxes containing food, clothes, dining & camping equipment, we'll use a portable cooler like a Dometic R1200 for refrigeration and a Vango Gastro folding kitchen which can be popped up inside the van in bad weather or used outside/in a driveaway awning on a site.

When the bed is in a sleeping position all boxes/fridge go under the head and foot sections, table folded down or sideways behind the drivers seat.

When not being used to camp everything comes out and the van is used like a large car, when towing the caravan we take what we need depending on what additional trips we'll make where we can't tow the van ie an overnight at Buttermere or similar caravan inaccessible location.

Like I said at the start more a van to camp with than a campervan.

Ultimately it is whatever works for you. A few comments though:-

The continual shuffling of boxes around to find things, not having everything laid out and readily accessible, etc., would do my head in :)

Have you measured up to see if your camp kitchen will fit in when the bed is set up (would be a pain if you have to collapse it at night).

Cooking - presume you will be using potable gas appliances - how will you safely transport and live with the gas - will you have a locker and/or drop out vents?

Water and waste - will you have onboard water or portable plastic containers?

The parcel shelf of the wider RIB will be big but don't overestimate what you can carry on it - ours (narrower RIB) has the bedding rolls (Duvalay sleeping bags) on the top shelf (sensible as there is nothing extra to stash elsewhere when you make the bed up) and our outdoor tables, chairs and a few other bits underneath.

You won't be able to re-classify as a "Motor Caravan" and gain from the increased speed limits (irrelevant if you are spending most of your time towing)

I think a van is a huge style of living compromise compared to a caravan, a motorhome or even a trailer tent, two of which we have or now own. I've traveled extensively and expect each trip and accommodation to present it's own unique challenges, I've thought about many of the things you mention during my planning and non will have an impact on my use of the vehicle.

The idea of pulling around lots of units and cabinetry doesn't make sense to me now when I can have a truly flexible vehicle, if speed limits become a thing I can register it as dual purpose vehicle but can't see that tbh.

I'll take the German position on gas use in a van which somewhat makes the English position seem very risk averse.

Clean/grey water will be carried in containers as and when needed, camp kitchens come in different sizes, the one that fits perfectly after the RIB is fitted will be the one we choose although the Vango should fit fingers crossed.

I go back to my point about camping with a van, a van can't hope to provide what a caravan or a motorhome can, a van to my mind is just a step up from a tent in terms of accommodation and utility so why try and pack everything.

I don't see what we have planned as being too different from how people live with slidepods but without the need to be outside to cook.

As I say, ultimately it is whatever works for you.

I totally get your point about camping with a van and agree that all camping is a compromise and about getting the right balance that you can live with.

What is the german position on gas use in a van? I am very nervous carrying gas after having a cartridge stove leak a couple of years ago - fortunately we were home and had unpacked into the garage and we realised pretty quickly so no damage was done but it could have been a different story if left in the confines of a van. Any gas I can't get in my locker is only put in the van at the last minute for transport and stored outside the van on site (though someone has recently suggested putting in my under sink cupboard which is equipped with a drop out vent).

As for Slidepods, lots of people like them and I think they look great (virtually new one on sale via another thread at the moment) but they are not for me.

German position on what the British do with gas is one of puzzlement as far as I am aware. Broad view is that gas contains an additive making it possible to smell leaks, its heavier than air and naturally finds low points so venting through door jams, that a leak could occur at the bottle, at any point along the pipe or at the appliance yet we Brits cut vent points at the bottle and nowhere else.....so they don't cut a hole where the bottle is.
There is no UK legislative requirement to vent the gas area or to have a certificate unless the van is to be used for hire it reward afaics, it just seems to be one of those things convertors do and likely a requirement for fixed appliances for insurance purposes and the litigious amongst us.

It's not on my radar as something to be concerned about in my planned setup tbh but tvm for the tip.

"German Position" sounds like a pretty naive view to me - yes, you can smell the odourant in gas and it will naturally sink but if there is nowhere for it to readily escape or you aren't around or are asleep it can build up to an explosive mixture before you know it. Yes, it will find low points but if you have nowhere for it to escape (we add extra seals to our vans to improve sound/air ingress) it will build up to an explosive mixture.

Professional convertors will cut holes below the gas locker together with drop out vents below the main connection point (cooker) which mitigates against the major points of failure (most leaks occur at the point of connections - leaks in the copper tubing are rare).

Lifetime working in the gas industry; it isn't something I am prepared to play with.

Man injured in camping gas explosion

Back