A few days at a music festival.

AussieMick

T6 Guru
We are at a music festival in a tiny rural farming town. Normal population 13 or so but many vans of all descriptions descending on the town.
There is 1 pub which has a semi trailer set up as the stage in the vacant lot next to it.
Temperature today is fairly hot so all awnings are out on the van. Even have the awning out to shade the side of the van with the fridge. This makes a big difference to how often the fridge has to start up.
We came here last year and there was a lot of flooding all around but this year is hot and dry. Last year we got bogged on arrival but the ground dried out by the time I wanted to leave so I could just drive out luckily.
Easy to keep leisure battery topped up as plenty of sunshine.
Mostly caravans with 4 wheel drive vehicles but a few campervans.
Luckily temperature at night drops to 14c so nice cool sleeping temps.
The grog is getting a hammering by many but most are having a good relaxing time.
The festival goes for 3 days but is true picture of rural small town Australia.
Plenty of flies for all , had forgotten about the little pests.
The town is called Patchewollock and is about 390 kms from Adelaide and 430km from Melbourne.

20231020_122936.jpg20231020_123039.jpgScreenshot_20231020_124027_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Look at you with all that sun! I'm sure I've just seen Noah go past our house in his Ark. Rain rain and more rain over here in the sunny West Midlands, but Scotland and further oop North are having it far worse. I bet most of us 'wish we were there' even with pesky flies to put up with!

Just checked the festival out, looks like a small 3 day folk festival. All in ticket price converts to 40GBP, I think we’re being ripped off in the UK!

Last edited:
A few more pictures of Patchewollock and the music festival. Tickets are pretty cheap as the artists are not big names but they can play and hold a crowd.20231021_170504.jpg
Ticket prices include free camping on the oval which unfortunately hasn't seen a football or cricket match in a fair while.
The area is sheep and grain farmers and I believe there is 150 or so in the district. Most shops seem to have closed which is becoming common in small town Australia.
Dinner tonight has been slow cooking all day in camp ovens on hot coals. Several hundred people are getting fed, I hope.
Today is much cooler than yesterday. It's about 25c but very windy so I have taken all my awnings in.
Still sunny enough to keep solar recharging leisure battery. 20231021_162416.jpg20231021_152312.jpg20231021_161700.jpg20231021_121749.jpg20231021_161510.jpg20231021_142733.jpg

20231021_161729.jpg

Last edited:
Just a few observations.
As the interior of van gets warmer the fridge gets colder as the compressor runs more often.
Yesterday was 35+ in the van all day but the fridge kept internal temperature to between 1 - 3 degrees Celsius.
Due to the sunny weather and I had plenty of solar panels. One permanent 150watt and two solar blankets , a 150 watt and a 200 watt, the fridge running more often and drawing more power didn't matter. It's a different story when temperature is hot but no sun due to clouds etc.
Then it's harder to manage power requirements.
The fans I have fitted inside van allow comfortable sleeping even on warm to hot nights and they draw small amounts of power even if on all night.20231021_170736.jpg

Back