Anyone Own A House Not On Gas?

My Dad has one of those fans on his log burner in his narrow boat. It just runs off the heat of the fire and forces the hot air down the boat. He swears by them.
My Dad has one of those fans on his log burner in his narrow boat. It just runs off the heat of the fire and forces the hot air down the boat. He swears by them.

They are brilliant and work really well. They seem to eliminate hot spots close to the fire and disperse the heat around the room.
579E95B2-FAFB-44E7-89C3-8EC01960A814_1_201_a.jpeg
And I totally agree with @Nigel W , fire is a man thing and I love mine. It works soo well it trips the thermostat on the central heating so my heating very rarely kicks in.

We also have an old thatched cottage in Devon that has storage heaters (albeit very old ones). They warm the house in the morning but by lunchtime they offer no heat at all. You will definitely need a secondary heating source but a real fire is a great way to go. MAN MAKE FIRE.:thumbsup:

If you go Wood/multifuel definitely agree with getting it HETAS installed and swept at least once a year (more often if you burn rubbish wood rather than top notch, seasoned and/or kiln dried, hard woods) won’t remove the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning but will help ensure the installation is as safe as possible - the HETAS installer will also insist on siting a carbon monoxide monitor in the same room as the stove - you will also need permanent ventilation, e.g. air brick, sized according to the output of the appliance.

Another alternative to mains gas would be LPG, e.g. Calor Gas - large tank outside the house which you need to periodically get filled but otherwise the same as using mains gas.

Out of interest, which village are you looking at?

Thank you, I will add that to my list of documentation to check.
I actually thought carbon monoxide was a gas issue, not a wood burning one.

See, you learn something new every day on here.

you can get carbon monoxide from most things that burn - people have been killed by disposable BBQ’s when camping before.

Ian

They are brilliant and work really well. They seem to eliminate hot spots close to the fire and disperse the heat around the room.
View attachment 57709
And I totally agree with @Nigel W , fire is a man thing and I love mine. It works soo well it trips the thermostat on the central heating so my heating very rarely kicks in.

We also have an old thatched cottage in Devon that has storage heaters (albeit very old ones). They warm the house in the morning but by lunchtime they offer no heat at all. You will definitely need a secondary heating source but a real fire is a great way to go. MAN MAKE FIRE.:thumbsup:

Totally agree re making fire! It's our purpose

I have enjoyed this exchange this evening, it’s taken my mind away from updating my satnav that has now been running for over 3 hours but nearly there - unless it crashes at the last stage like last time.......
0FF034A5-47A5-47CC-AFD5-5460E39489C7.jpeg

I live in a rural thatched house with oil CH. There is no gas main where I live.
I'm fortunate to have a mate who is a tree surgeon so in return for helping him when he's busy I get to cut my own logs and store them on his field until they are seasoned. (That's why I needed a 4motion) I haven't paid for logs for 25 years. Logs are not cheap heating if you don't have an opportunity like this.
I reckon oil costs us about £800 per year and logs cost just my labour and time. Our walls are solid with no insulation so like most old houses it's not very efficient, but it's never cold in here!
Everybody here who has said that the logs must be properly seasoned is absolutely spot on. My logs are all less than 10% moisture before I burn them.
I have to have my chimney swept twice a year because i'm in a thatched house and the insurance is invalid if i don't.
You really can't beat a log burning stove in winter!

It's a village called Slawston, out between Market Harborough and Uppingham.
We use a little campsite close by at Medbourne and have friends that live next to one of the pubs in Hallaton - lovely part of Leicestershire.

I live in a rural thatched house with oil CH. There is no gas main where I live.
I'm fortunate to have a mate who is a tree surgeon so in return for helping him when he's busy I get to cut my own logs and store them on his field until they are seasoned. (That's why I needed a 4motion) I haven't paid for logs for 25 years. Logs are not cheap heating if you don't have an opportunity like this.
I reckon oil costs us about £800 per year and logs cost just my labour and time. Our walls are solid with no insulation so like most old houses it's not very efficient, but it's never cold in here!
Everybody here who has said that the logs must be properly seasoned is absolutely spot on. My logs are all less than 10% moisture before I burn them.
I have to have my chimney swept twice a year because i'm in a thatched house and the insurance is invalid if i don't.
You really can't beat a log burning stove in winter!

Could not agree with you more, woodburners have a universal appeal. Mine is the focal point of the lounge of our 1970's semi, it's the best thing we have put in the house.

We use a little campsite close by at Medbourne and have friends that live next to one of the pubs in Hallaton - lovely part of Leicestershire.

Hallaton has some lovely thatched houses. The pub near the pond or the other end of the village?

Hallaton has some lovely thatched houses. The pub near the pond or the other end of the village?
The Bewicke Arms - they bought the plot of land next door to the pub and completed the house last year - Jo and @Mick called in to see them whilst doing the Leicestershire Round last Summer.

Used to live in a cottage that was on tank gas, lovely place, lovely house, cost an absolute fortune in winter! I think tank gas is one of the most expensive off the grid solutions mind, avoid!

I know some of my threads can be from one end of a scale, to the other and very random, but this is the best place I find for realistic answers.

During my home ownership over the last 35 years, I have always lived in either a village like we are now, or small Towns.
We've been looking to move further away from Leicester for a couple of years now but never found a house that ticked the main boxes.
The last week or so, we've found a property that might be just perfect, and had a viewing with another one tonight.

This house is located in a very small village with only a population of 197 people, so it suits pretty much all our requirements, bar a couple of compromises.
However.... The village does not have gas connected due to it's very rural location. Some homes have oil, but the one we want is run with modern Storage heaters.
From what I have ascertained, the house was built in 1989, recently double glazed and insulated really well. It's a detached 4 bed, 2 bathroom 3 reception room property to give an idea of size. The rear is South facing, backing onto open countryside, literally. So very little shelter off the fields.

My question is to anyone that owns a house that isn't gas centrally heated and that uses the type of heating that's installed into the house. My wife is worried about the obvious costs, compared to Gas central heating, and the actual heat the storage heaters kick out. I will add that the property does have a multi-fuel burner in the living room, which I presume will kick out some heat.
I have done a lot of research on this type of heating because it's all new to us, but no amount of research can compare with real life. Obviously i'm aware it's down to the amount the heating is used in the winter, but if someone has been in a similar situation, and regretted buying a house without a gas main, then i'd prefer to know about it.

Hi there are quite a few solutions on the market and a lot depends on how well your house is thermally insulated (Not sure if you are aware but all new build houses built after 2025 will be 100% electric/renewable - no gas!) sounds drastic but if well designed it actually isn't because electric heating is 100% efficient the key is not to lose the heat, there are a several models of High Heat Retention Storage Heaters on the market by Gabarron, Dimplex aka Heatstore and we have installed these in several residences recently resulting in EPC (Energy Performance Certificates) improving from an E to a C rating. There are lots of creative hybrid solutions incorporating wood burning stoves heat recovery systems through to Ground Source and air source heat pumps - I would advise a discussion with a reliable mechanical engineer or designer who should be able to advise, model and even simulate how a solution would work - there are a lot of solutions and several amazing solutions such as graphene in the pipe line (there is a house in salford uni which runs on graphene which is a heat emitter made from a 1 molecule thick carbon element and is proper star trek technology) A key consideration is how you use it - super insulated houses still require air changes for healthy living so some form of heat recovery via extraction and return tempered fresh air is essential. I love my woodburner but you must make sure you have a fresh air vent which can be draughty to comply with Hetas requirements
Look on the Carbon Trust website and other neutral websites offering free advice - I can advise on a few consultants we have worked with if it helps but you may be able to figure a simple common sense approach after a bit of research

Thanks in advance if anyone can help with this.

Used to live in a cottage that was on tank gas, lovely place, lovely house, cost an absolute fortune in winter! I think tank gas is one of the most expensive off the grid solutions mind, avoid!
It actually compares quite favourably to some of the other off grid options - Energy Cost Comparison

View attachment 57709

Couldn't agree more, one of my cocker spaniels will go and sit on the hearth and drop hints that he is needing it lit. These fans are brilliant had our 12 years now and wouldn't be without it.

It actually compares quite favourably to some of the other off grid options - Energy Cost Comparison

interesting to see all the options side by side...not sure id want to pay 21p per kwh for my electric tho...im currently paying 11.5p! - the good thing about electricity, its one utility you can actually select a supplier with the best deals to suit your usage.

Last edited:
interesting to see all the options side by side...not sure id want to pay 21p per kwh for my electric tho...im currently paying 11.5p! - the good thing about electricity, its one utility you can actually select a supplier with the best deals to suit your usage.
Agreed - we're currently paying circa 13p - LPG at circa 7p still compares quite favourably though.

Back