A bit of help . . .?

JamesWebb

VCDS User
VIP Member
I'm still trying to retrofit HBA to my 6.1 but not getting very far.

The hardware is in place and the wiring done (as per directions on this forum) - but of course may not be correct!
I have VCDS and have coded what I believe needs coding but the MFD is still showing 'Fault: Light Assist' when attempting to activate it.

Attached, is an abbreviated AutoScan (done today) showing only the faults . . . and being new to VCDSI was wondering if the 'no signal/no communication' messages included, might indicate something as fundamental as the CanBus's inability to talk to the mirror/camera - maybe because of a wiring fault or even the wrong mirror . . . ?

So, once again, any comments gratefully received from any more experienced and wise VCDS gurus out there! :)

As always,
Many thanks,
JW

Attachments

• Log-16-13 20-12-22-WV1ZZZ7HZMH0------8608km-5348mi.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 8
Snippets from the log
Code:
09 - Cent. Elect.  --  Status: Malfunction 0010 ***
19 - CAN Gateway  --  Status: Malfunction 0010 ***
20 - High Beam Assist.  --  Status: Cannot be reached 0100 ***
75 - Telematics  --  Status: Malfunction 0010 ***
The above basically tells that the Gateway doesn't communicate with 20-HBA.

However, below, by accessing directly (although via Gateway) the HBA the VCDS is capable to interrogate the HBA which means the HBA is alive and responding. My impression is that when doing a direct access VCDS adapts itself to whatever communication protocol the module actually uses - thus usually can access even "problematic" controllers.
Code:
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 20: High Beam Assist. (J844)       Labels:| 8S0-857-511.clb
   Part No SW: 7E0 857 511 G    HW: 7E0 857 511 E
   Component: FLA           H10 0003 
   Revision: AA001001   
   Coding: 010101E200000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 12345 123 12345
   ASAM Dataset: EV_HighBeamAssisAU316 001004
   ROD: EV_HighBeamAssisAU316.rod
   VCID: 2E050324E09E17AB49E - 807A

5 Faults Found:
13238273  -  Databus
          U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
          [ECU for steering wheel electronics: no signal/no communication]
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 0

Communication status of data bus 1 - ABS Control Module: No communication
                    Communication status of data bus 1 - Data Bus On Board Diagnostic Interface: No communication
                    Communication status of data bus 1 - Engine Control Module: No communication
                    Communication status of data bus 1 - Vehicle Electrical System Control Module: No communication
                    Communication status of data bus 1 - Steering column electronic systems control module: No communication

13238274  -  Databus
          U1121 00 [009]  -  Missing Message
          [Diagnostic interface for data bus (Gateway): no signal/no communication]
             Freeze Frame:

Communication status of data bus 1 - Data Bus On Board Diagnostic Interface: No communication
                    Communication status of data bus 1 - Vehicle Electrical System Control Module: No communication
                    Communication status of data bus 1 - Steering column electronic systems control module: No communication

13238275  -  Databus
          [ECU for engine: no signal/no communication]
             Freeze Frame:

13238276  -  Databus
          [Break - ECU: no signal/no communication]
             Freeze Frame:

13238277  -  Databus
          [ECU for power supply: no signal/no communication]
             Freeze Frame:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the actual HBA hardware (7E0 857 511 C) is the same on T6 and T6.1 but T6.1 has a different software (SW: 565 857 511 B) than on T6 (SW: 7E0 857 511 F) - I'm afraid that's the culprit for all the challenges.

As T6.1 electronics are based on more modern MQB paltform (vs. ancient PQ25 platform on T6). I would expect there are changes also in data communication protocols between controllers - as numerous communications faults here (Missing messages between controllers) suggest.

mmi,

Thank you so much for your time reading my cry for help and additionally responding so eloquently!
Your 'diagnosis', based on the latest scan snippet I supplied, actually makes sense to me now!
It'd explain the lack of communication with the software, despite being able to 'see' the hardware.
And, your informed knowledge about the T6.1 being on a different platform to the T6 would really sum up the 'challenges'.

So, my next obvious question is, how do I find out the correct 6.1 part number (with the correct software) for the mirror/camera?
Do I ring the local parts dealer? Is there an online parts database based on VIN?
Maybe someone on this forum who owns a 6.1 AND has HBA could read off the part number on the bottom of their mirror?

Thank you all,
JW

Reactions: mmi
Having just rung a 'local' van dealer, they can't help because they will only work off a reg no. or a VIN for a vehicle that already has the HBA factory fitted.
So, now, I'm asking if you have a 6.1 with factory fitted HBA, could you read off the part number printed on the bottom for me?

Many thanks,
JW

The part number is 565 857 511 B (the same as software ID ;) ) - grabbed from @Pauly's T6.1 VCDS scan.
In addition to that there is a colour code e.g. 9B9 (=satin black - check your mirror for correct one)

Below a snippet from ifinterface.com for T6.1 including PR/option codes, and in blue the code explanations provided by OBDeleven software.
857-047
1671810994357.png

The answer is...You can but it's not easy.
I told my experience if someone want to do this
I follow this thread instructions.
The adaptions set is possible only Odis ( maybe also VCP not tested) because VCDS can't set all channels. Odis adaptation set method is different.
I use Audi A3 mirror partnumber 81A857511G rimless mirror.
So I crossflash mirror software 0010 to 0003 and then I set all the adaptation channels correct values.
Many thanks to member mmi. He give me full HBA admap. Without this retrofit would not have been possible.
When I install the mirror a new problem occured.
Audi's mirror fastening is different so I had to exchange it from old mirror. You can see the difference from the picture. Lower one is from the Audi.
View attachment 184896

Reactions: mmi
You can crossflash 0003 --> 0010. Then the mirror speak Your MQB data.
Little warning if You do this . Mirror software number from vcds autoscan disappears. Look instructions from the messages Robert resent.

Back