84PS... underpowered for a conversion?

Hi everyone please can I have some advice and some Help, please take it easy as new to this forum . I have been scouring the Internet for two months and thought I’d found the perfect T6
I was looking for the 102PS just realised the vehicle that I thought was perfect is only 84 PS
I am going to do a conversion my main thing is getting good fuel economy , i’m not bothered about speed I just want good fuel economy . I can’t seem to find much info about the 84 PS
Please advise me I thought this vehicle ticked all the boxes . Most people just say it’s underpowered .help

If your lugging the weight of a full camper conversion around then yes, i would say its under powered as well....

It's underpowered in a fully converted camper, but if you really don't care about getting anywhere in a hurry, you'll be fine.......but.........it will be working harder, and mpg will suffer a bit because of this, more so than a 102, and a 150. But actually, sticking stupid big wheels and fat tyres will have just as negative an effect on the mpg....so in conclusion, hmmmm, have you considered bolser wood ?

Unfortunately, the 84 underpowered carrying fresh air around. I’ve had 102’s/110 and lug half a ton of tools and spares around. They are nippy enough, and cruise on the motorways. I do a mixture of driving, I average 35mpg. 40ish on a run at 65mph. It all depends, what you are moving to the T6 from carwise?? How you drive?? And what you expect from the new one?? The best thing you could do, is test drive one. If it were me, I’d hold out for at least a 102.

Have a chat with Pendle or Revo and see what they say About mapping it for more power.

Pete

We have a 102 with full conversion. I'm a pretty sedate driver nowadays, but even I wouldn't want any less power.

If you are having second thoughts the same will be true in the resale market when you part with it. A full camper conversion is a significant amount of ££££ to put into a vehicle, I’d be concerned about how easy it would be to sell at the right price when the time comes.

Well guys thank you so much for your feedback I really appreciate it it just puts everything into perspective I’ve made my mind up I will hold on and wait for the 102 .
I am so happy I found this website the knowledge is vast I will keep you guys posted hopefully around Christmas time the prices may drop a lift .(I hope )

My lad and I both have full conversions on 84ps, if you like the van, have a test drive and I'm sure you'll find an 84 is fine despite the weight of opinion from people who dont have one. As I've posted before motorway speeds are no problem at all, I occasionally pull a litre racebike on a trailer & the engine isnt stressed. Mpg is excellent. Remember its a campervan :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My old T2 had 50hp (optimistic prob 30) and that still lugged a full camper about. Albeit slowly. A Camper is not a race car (he says with a 204 T6), I think 86 would be fine as long as you werent in a hurry. For the record i sit in slow lane with acc on at 60 in my T6. More power isnt really needed. (probably)

My lad and I both have full conversions on 84ps, if you like the van, have a test drive and I'm sure you'll find its fine despite the weight of opinion from people who dont have one. As I've posted before motorway speeds are no problem at all, I occasionally pull a litre racebike on a trailer & the engine isnt stressed. Mpg is excellent. Remember its a campervan :)
That’s interesting Phil now you Have thrown a spanner in the works,I’m more bothered about mpg I’m not bothered about speed it’s just when I’ve read on the forums everybody was quoting 102 PS as the engine was stressed with the 84 But you say your son has had the full conversion done and there is no problem. Okay I think I just need to make a decision and go with it.Really appreciate your advice regards Paul

The engines are in a van, and the van is designed to carry loads. So will the engine cope, of course. Will it be slow, very likely. If you're not bothered about that then crack on! NO amount of advice on here will change it

Those with bigger engines will say it'll be too slow. Those with the engine in question are saying it's fine for getting around. All the engines will hold a motorway speed. It's pottering around and getting up and down steep stuff that it might struggle with it, but it'll still do it.

If it's not a daily driver then I guess you really won't mind

You'll find theres a lot of online snobbery regarding VW vans & conversions, 2 vs 4WD, auto vs manual, and especially power & torque,
only recently was a members brand-new hi-top pride & joy described as a 'skip'.
The strange thing is that face to face, everyone is great. Whether its the keyboard warrior or purchase justification I dont know.
But I challenge any unconverted 500bhp triple-turbo six-wheel-drive nitrous-injected van to a race down the motorway against my 84ps camper.
The only rule is sticking to speed limits :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I should add that I ended up with 204 only because wifey wanted 4WD. For the one occassion every other year when she may or may not end up in a field at one of her crusty raves. (Frankly its a waste of our money, but we compromised and did as she wanted) I'dve been happy with an 84. Its a campervan. I loved Lord Percy our old T2 (died of rust), slow as an old dog, but its a van. I sit in slow lane anyway. Plodding along, nice n relaxed.

I have a superbike for silly speeds. Its horses for courses and all that. As mark pointed out the Nm is whats important, not the HP. Or its the size of your lever, not how fast you can move said lever.

I should add that I ended up with 204 only because wifey wanted 4WD. For the one occassion every other year when she may or may not end up in a field at one of her crusty raves. (Frankly its a waste of our money, but we compromised and did as she wanted) I'dve been happy with an 84. Its a campervan. I loved Lord Percy our old T2 (died of rust), slow as an old dog, but its a van. I sit in slow lane anyway. Plodding along, nice n relaxed.

I have a superbike for silly speeds. Its horses for courses and all that. As mark pointed out the Nm is whats important, not the HP. Or its the size of your lever, not how fast you can move said lever.
I do a lot of muddy festivals, I chose a tow rope over 4 WD as it was a tad cheaper, so far I haven’t needed it;)

You'll find theres a lot of online snobbery regarding VW vans & conversions, 2 vs 4WD, auto vs manual, and especially power & torque,
only recently was a members brand-new hi-top pride & joy described as a 'skip'.
The strange thing is that face to face, everyone is great. Whether its the keyboard warrior or purchase justification I dont know.
But I challenge any unconverted 500bhp triple-turbo six-wheel-drive nitrous-injected van to a race down the motorway against my 84ps camper.
The only rule is sticking to speed limits :thumbsup:
Excellent

Back