4Motion Whirring Noise

Okay thanks. Was the noise comparable to the sound on tomanykids video post ?
Yup, got worse as we were on the French autoroute and it was only when we pulled into the services did we hear how bad it had got, was almost out of oil as well.
There was scoring on the ram of the rack and that caused the seal to fail and the oil to leak out, once the oil got low it overheated and then both the rack and pump failed.
Now totally silent unless you are holding it against the full lock, but you would expect that.

You could check that there is no oil in the steering gators?
You also need to inspect the gators for splits that might let dirt ingress and ruin the seals on the ends of the rack.

I took the Caravelle to Sainburys earlier and the thing sounded awful, a whirring noise on acceleration and steering. I've attached a clip to demonstrate the noise in question. The return journey was completely normal. Any ideas what's going on? The car is new to me so go easy if I've engaged some kind of low-ratio mode (which I don't believe I have).

To add, cold start, 1 degree outside, car had previously done 200 mile journey (last Saturday) and doesn't have diff-lock as far as I know (there's no button on the dash).

Did you get to the bottom of this? I have the same whirring noise on steering and acceleration exactly as your video sounds.. really bugging me now...

I am in Melbourne Australia ,I have an 2019 VW T6 Transporter 4 motion Campervan conversion just taken my van to dealer and they told me my steering shudder at take off was due to the extra weight on the van because of the Campervan conversion ,had any one had any problem with slight shudder standing still moving steering wheel left or right ?

Back