4Motion Whirring Noise

toomanykids

I took the Caravelle to Sainburys earlier and the thing sounded awful, a whirring noise on acceleration and steering. I've attached a clip to demonstrate the noise in question. The return journey was completely normal. Any ideas what's going on? The car is new to me so go easy if I've engaged some kind of low-ratio mode (which I don't believe I have).

To add, cold start, 1 degree outside, car had previously done 200 mile journey (last Saturday) and doesn't have diff-lock as far as I know (there's no button on the dash).

I can't tell from the clip, If you sit in neutral and rev the engine, then operate the steering side to side, do you get the noise? If you do, that almost certainly rules out the transmission. Is the noise related to engine revs or road speed?
You don't have a low ratio and if you can't see a diff lock button then you most likely don't have that either.
Very strange that the return trip was fine, but that's good news.

My Caravelle is doing the same thing, it sounds like Chewbacca! My van is a not a 4motion just a regular 2016 150 DSG. Makes the same noise on steering but once it has had a short run and restarted it's fine.
Anyone any ideas?

so this symptom is cold weather related.?

are we thinking power steering pump or fluid until the engine/engine bay temp? (have you checked all the levels?)

Aux belt, tensioner?

Alternator?

AC pump/bearing?

will these things will sound different when cold to normal operating temp.

Defo sounds like a power steering pump to me.
Remove the green cap in the engine bay and check it is full and dark green (no foam)

Last edited:
Thanks all. I've checked the fluid and it seems just under the 'cool' symbol on the stick - no foam though.

The van sounded a lot louder even with the steering straight and with revs. It sounded more like a bin lorry than the usual modest refinement of a Caravelle. I did wonder if it was doing something due to the cold weather initially - choke etc - turning into a space was noisy so the PAS would fit. Very odd the return journey (like stickman's) was without issue.

I'll take it for a spin tomorrow and feedback.

The PAS system is a hydraulic system with a pressure relief valve. I suspect the cold oil being more viscous was causing the PRV to lift creating the noise.
On the return journey the oil was warmer and less viscous, especially after throttling through the PRV which would raise the temperature.
As for why your vans PAS pump is noisy and others aren’t at the same temperature I have no idea. Is it possible that the wrong oil has been added to the system?

Pump replacement is quite an easy job.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice folks, I have checked all my levels and found the power steering fluid level to be a little low (As was toomanykids) so have topped up. Will have to wait until morning when it's cold now to see if that has helped the issue. Going off the last few says it won't do it again now for the rest of the day.
Otherwise if it still does it I'll have the pump looked at as suggested.

Thanks for all the advice folks, I have checked all my levels and found the power steering fluid level to be a little low (As was toomanykids) so have topped up. Will have to wait until morning when it's cold now to see if that has helped the issue. Going off the last few says it won't do it again now for the rest of the day.
Otherwise if it still does it I'll have the pump looked at as suggested.
I have the exact same noise at all temperatures and when revving the engine in neutral as well. Took it to the dealers who replaced the PAS pump but has made no difference whatsoever. I’m now wondering if it could be the rack? It’s driving me mad, spoils the acoustics in the cabin completely. Strangely when you are outside the vehicle you can’t hear it when it’s being revved only when your sitting in the front cabin. Any ideas please???

I have the exact same noise at all temperatures and when revving the engine in neutral as well. Took it to the dealers who replaced the PAS pump but has made no difference whatsoever. I’m now wondering if it could be the rack? It’s driving me mad, spoils the acoustics in the cabin completely. Strangely when you are outside the vehicle you can’t hear it when it’s being revved only when your sitting in the front cabin. Any ideas please???
Buy a 6.1 as it doesn't have hydraulic power steering?

I took the Caravelle to Sainburys earlier and the thing sounded awful, a whirring noise on acceleration and steering. I've attached a clip to demonstrate the noise in question. The return journey was completely normal. Any ideas what's going on? The car is new to me so go easy if I've engaged some kind of low-ratio mode (which I don't believe I have).

To add, cold start, 1 degree outside, car had previously done 200 mile journey (last Saturday) and doesn't have diff-lock as far as I know (there's no button on the dash).

Any more developments on the noise??

Buy a 6.1 as it doesn't have hydraulic power steering?
Not really the answer... I expected a quiet drive in a caravelle T6 dsg. Dealers quote when I asked them was, some of them sound like that and some don’t, it’s not unusual.... really!!!!!

The relief valves in the racks themselves can make noises like there is air in the system

Bit of a bone of contention every vehicle I have owned I always have done a full service straight away and changed pas fluid it gets over looked it goes through heat cycles and degradation it’s not just there to provide hydraulic movement but also to lubricate the system, the other one is manual gearbox oil so many people don’t have this done.

Bit of a bone of contention every vehicle I have owned I always have done a full service straight away and changed pas fluid it gets over looked it goes through heat cycles and degradation it’s not just there to provide hydraulic movement but also to lubricate the system, the other one is manual gearbox oil so many people don’t have this done.
Vans only done 26000 miles but I guess not unheard of for a rack to fail at that mileage and 3 years old. Just out of warranty now as well which is a bit annoying...

Vans only done 26000 miles but I guess not unheard of for a rack to fail at that mileage and 3 years old. Just out of warranty now as well which is a bit annoying...
I had a rack fail at 16k was very noisey, had rack and pump replaced under warranty.

Back