4Motion reliability..?

Hi, very new to your forum so good to meet you.

I am looking for a quality T6 Caravelle and have come across an example I like the look of however it’s got 4motion. Does anyone have any experience of 4motion models over 2 WD? Are they more prone to failure? Expensive to own? Better to drive (will not be going off-road regularly apart from the odd field for camping).

It has Diff lock and is the 204 model.

Ticks all other boxes but the 4M concerns me, should it?

Any quick responses would be appreciated.

Thanks

Generally very good, hardly ever hear of issues with the current generation of Haldex on the T6.

4Motion isn't just about going off road, there are some circumstances when it is beneficial on road too, it only sends drive to the rear wheels when the electronics sense that doing so would help. Most of the time only the front wheels are being driven.
There are thousands of VW vehicles fitted with 4Motion, not just Transporters, it's a tried and tested system. I'm not aware of any common problems with it.
Obviously it adds weight to your vehicle and therefore a 4Motion van will use slightly more fuel than a standard van, but it will be very little different.

Hi, very new to your forum so good to meet you.

I am looking for a quality T6 Caravelle and have come across an example I like the look of however it’s got 4motion. Does anyone have any experience of 4motion models over 2 WD? Are they more prone to failure? Expensive to own? Better to drive (will not be going off-road regularly apart from the odd field for camping).

It has Diff lock and is the 204 model.

Ticks all other boxes but the 4M concerns me, should it?

Any quick responses would be appreciated.

Thanks
Snap it up before someone else does.

The 4 motion running gear is heavy and takes approx 200 kilos off the pay load capability of the van ,BUT the DSG is well tried and tested and it is brilliant
The Haldex oil needs changing regularly but this isnt difficult . Buy It

I have a 4motion with diff lock and love it. Never really go off road but drive in snow a lot and worth its weight in gold. Never actually had to use the diff lock because the 4motion is so good. My wife also has a 4motion and drives in fields a lot - watching others spinning away! Buy it.
Sorry…just read the quick replies bit…did you buy?

Not yet! Something is putting me off. It’s done 45k and 20k miles ago it had a new dsg gearbox and engine. Still tempted but concerned it could cause me issues and resale attraction could be an issue. Or is just me…

Hi.. how would one know their van is 4motion by just looking at it? or is there a way to check my build code?

Back