4motion And Diff-lock?

Chris B

One of the things that I have pondered over, for my planned camper, is 4motion or 2wd?
I have decided to go 4motion. I have several valid reasons for this.
But diff-lock or not? My gut is saying yes but, as I understand, diff-lock is a factory only option around £500(?).
I am keeping my options open at the moment, either pre-owned (3/4/5 yr old) and save a few quid (common sense) or go all in on a 17 plate (as a long overdue treat and my first 'new' car) .
What I don't understand is this? As diff-lock is only an extra £500, not a great amount on top of the purchase price, why are there so few 4motion vans for sale with diff-lock? The majority are 4motion only.
Is 4motion so effective on its own that the diff-lock is superfluous in all but the most difficult of situations?
I look forward to your advice.
Cheers
Chris

I have diff-lock and used it easter weekend to get of a waterlogged pitch.
My experience of mud and sand etc on overland trips leads me to try and get moving gently and building up speed without wheels spinning and digging in.
Both the traction control and 4 motion requires a little bit of spin before the system kicks in therefore locking diff and moving off without spin is the best option if you can.

I've got a 4-Motion, without diff-lock. I would have taken this option but my salesman didn't make me aware it was even on the options list :mad:

i specced diff lock and have used it a couple of times to get me out of trouble. Seemed no brainer to order from new, and hard to find on a used 4motion.

The diff-lock makes quite a difference in pulling force when it's slippery: wet grass, snow, ice.

Am I correct in thinking that diff-lock is not possible as an aftermarket option, or have i missed something?

One would hope (and numerous YouTube videos suggest such), that 4motion is more than adequate for all but the most demanding of situations.
I have no intention of green laning or off-roading for fun, I just want the reassurance of knowing that I am unlikely to get stuck in the mud at a festival or on some cheap farmers campsite or if I just pull off the road up a dirt track for the night.
I spoke to several auction houses yesterday and the explanation for no diff-lock made sense. All these ex lease/hire/group vans are ordered by accountants who know nothing other than money, 4motion is fairly easy to understand so when necessary is ordered but diff-lock means nothing to them, other than an extra £500,so is omitted from the spec.

It would appear then, that I should hope to find a 4motion with diff-lock but, if a suitable 4motion only van comes up, invest in a good set of winter tyres and stick those on in November?
Job done?

Yes true, and 4 motion with better tyres will trump diff-lock with road biased tyres any day.
Too true and proven this winter. Had a Touareg with diff lock and road tyres...wouldn’t get me up our snowy track before Christmas. Now got a T6 with no diff lock and all terrains and hasn’t failed once. Huge difference.

I let all my tyres down to 1 bar on my skoda 4x4 after I got stuck in the snow and then I was able to get out, unless you've got chunky town and country tyres on it's easy to get stuck

I was having the same debate with myself. Do
I, don’t I. But in the scheme of things £500 isn’t alot more for something I think when you need it and don’t have you will really regret!

In theory for quite mild off roading (which is generally all a T6 is likely to do), with a trick EDL system you don't need the rear diff lock; But I notice more 4*4 are now offering it, including the Discovery; Amarok etc when previously it wasn't on the options list. I've got it on my T6, and every month I drive up a sand bank at rear of our house and work it, just so I know it won't be ceased on the day I need it. As you press the diff lock, the vehicles forward speed defiantly increase (i.e more traction), so I think it's well worth the money, if you choose to invest in 4Mo. The EDL system needs loads of revs and wheel slip to start working. The art of 4 wheel off road driving is to resist cutting up the surface prior to setting off, thus maintaining maximum grip. (and its environmentally more responsible).
I used it in snow this winter (with really good nokian all-season tyres). Blimey I was pulling out cars easy peasy. Also 2 weeks ago had the duty of pulling cars/vans/caravans/motorhomes onto and off a very wet grass events field. You get a strange look when you turn up in a T6 to give somebody a tug out with van and caravan are really stuck; I engaged the diff-lock every time, and mostly I didn't cut the grass surface at all, mostly with zero slip.
I think the diff lock is most important when you could get cross-axeled on a slope or ruts etc, or you have different friction/grip levels or weights across your axel(s).

Last edited:
Sorry for not posting for a while, been rather busy.
Thanks all for your input.
To reduce my stress levels I am CERTAIN that I want 4motion but that diff-lock will be a bonus and not a deal breaker.
Cheers
Chris

Sorry for not posting for a while, been rather busy.
Thanks all for your input.
To reduce my stress levels I am CERTAIN that I want 4motion but that diff-lock will be a bonus and not a deal breaker.
Cheers
Chris

Are you buying new Chris or looking for a 2nd hand T6?

Back