4motion And Diff-lock?

I am in the position, for the first and probably last time, to buy new (well '17 new) and dealers demo vehicles are what I am considering, but these are generally specced without diff-lock. Common sense is telling me to get something a few years older but the savings aren't really that great, people are certainly optimistic with their pricing, whether they are successful or not one never knows.

I am in the position, for the first and probably last time, to buy new (well '17 new) and dealers demo vehicles are what I am considering, but these are generally specced without diff-lock. Common sense is telling me to get something a few years older but the savings aren't really that great, people are certainly optimistic with their pricing, whether they are successful or not one never knows.

Have you considered ordering brand new from dealer? To get exactly what you want? You might be surprised that it won't cost you that much more.

It's the little bit more that is just pushing me past my comfort zone, otherwise this could just run away from me, there are some beautiful vehicles being created out there that I would dearly love to own, but I want to be able to sleep at night too!

It's the little bit more that is just pushing me past my comfort zone, otherwise this could just run away from me, there are some beautiful vehicles being created out there that I would dearly love to own, but I want to be able to sleep at night too!

Fair comment, you should only spend what you can afford. But do just research into carefully as good discounts are available on new vehicles.

all of the above info has been very helpful. I have just spec'd a 4motion and was wondering about the diff lock. As per another user I'm looking at muddy camp sites and trips to the alps - no more than that. But with all of the cost already committed to a newly configured van it feels like "if I need it once then it's been worth having". I won't be having two sets of tires so this is the alternative. On a similar topic I'm in the same mind set when it comes to curtain and side airbags option at £345 - you hope you'll never need them but if you have an accident then what is £345 in the grand scheme of the purchase. And that is how options lists work.... Both options selected - the Diff decision has been informed by this thread. Thanks again.

all of the above info has been very helpful. I have just spec'd a 4motion and was wondering about the diff lock. As per another user I'm looking at muddy camp sites and trips to the alps - no more than that. But with all of the cost already committed to a newly configured van it feels like "if I need it once then it's been worth having". I won't be having two sets of tires so this is the alternative. On a similar topic I'm in the same mind set when it comes to curtain and side airbags option at £345 - you hope you'll never need them but if you have an accident then what is £345 in the grand scheme of the purchase. And that is how options lists work.... Both options selected - the Diff decision has been informed by this thread. Thanks again.

Diff Lock is definitely a wise choice if its on a new build, in the scheme of things its a cheap upgrade for a very useful addition.

That means, your'll be looking at getting a 68 plate. I had planned on a 68 plate but turns out it might arrive early. Which is very frustrating as will be an 18 plate as apparently dealer has to register within 21 days. Otherwise VW could charge them inflation if the price goes up.

I've got diff lock on my amarok and despite having it knackers deep in mud and bouncing about rutted construction sites on a regular basis............. I've never used it once. Yay to decent tyres and 4wd however
Certainly vehicles with larger axel articulation need a diff lock far less than a poorly articulated T6; the problems often arise when the vehicle "lifts a leg"; or "goes light on one corner"

What about installing a ARB Airlocker, Harrop Eaton eLocker or even a TJM proLocker as a aftermarket option?
4motion uses a different system and there is no option for a traditional aftermarket difflock.

I've got a 4-Motion, without diff-lock. I would have taken this option but my salesman didn't make me aware it was even on the options list :mad:
That almost happened to me too, I added it afterwards, and luckily it was very shortly after I made the deal and the order hadn't gone into production yet.

Back