2wd to 4wd?

I imagine it would be cheaper to swap vans ?
You would need the complete prop shaft/rear diff/haldex coupling then I imagine you would need to replace various ECUs etc etc many thousands

Everything's possible.

But... ££££££££££££££££££

perhaps not then.. was thinking not for this time of weather.. coming from an 4motion car the front does love to spin up!

perhaps not then.. was thinking not for this time of weather.. coming from an 4motion car the front does love to spin up!

Might be cheaper to just have a spare set of winter wheels.
I was in the Cotswolds the other day, where they'd had a fair amount of snow. One of the roads I took towards my job was a nice untreated little hill into a village. It had a lovely line of cars trying one at a time to get up the hill, but failing miserably, including a rather unhappy Range Rover driver. My turn, 2wd, full winter tyres, and the traction light flickered for about 2 seconds, boom, up the hill I went. Even I was shocked the 2wd T6 was one of the only vehicles I saw get up that hill :thumbsup:

There is a video on you tube, comparing 2 cars 1 is 4WD and normal tyres, the other 2WD and winter tyres. The test is on compact snow. The FWD with winter tyres wins every test with ease.

I loved our previous 4MTN, but in 7 years of running it we only used the 4M in anger once when stuck in a muddy field.

Suppose it depends where you live and what you do.

That is an excellent video. Really spells out real life difference in a simple easy to understand way.
Now I need to get some new rims, so winters can go on my 18’s.

I'm not sure what's cheaper, buy a LHD 4-Motion TSi and convert it to RHD or retofit the 4-Motion kit to a FWD TSi?

The petrol TSI was never sold in the UK with 4motion (as far as I am aware), and this is my biggest regret from buying the TSI, and has been bugging me ever since. I have even resolved that, should my van get written off (heaven forbid), then I would look for a 4motion TSI in Europe to replace it.

I am sure that it is possible to retrofit 4motion to a 2wd TSI, but just how viable would such a task be?

The mechanics are probably relatively simple: transfer box (could that attach to an existing DSG, or would a suitable replacement be needed?), differential & prop shafts. But the electonics might be the sticking point. Could the relevant modules be integated into an existing system?

Or are the differances so vast that such a job could only be done as a "money-no-object" project?

There's a post on here somewhere about just such a project.

Kartechnic are the only people as far as I know to have converted a 2WD TSi to a 4-Motion TSi, cost was in the region of £15k

Back