21" or 22” Wheels

JOR4S

Hi, Anyone fitted 21" to their beloved? Thinking of 21's but could do with knowing pro's and con's from people with experience. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Hi, Anyone fitted 21" to their beloved? Thinking of 21's but could do with knowing pro's and con's from people with experience. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Have seen the 21” Bentley alloys fitted to a T6 up close and in person. And you can get a load rated 35 profile for a 21” so the 275/35/21 makes for a perfect tyre; apparently.

Just had this back from Savini:

Load rating is 2200 lbs per wheel. Thanks.

Araceli Gallardo | Sales Manager
Office: 714-632-0530
3199 E. La Palma Ave., Anaheim, CA 92806
www.saviniwheels.com / www.grid-offroad.com
wnload&id=0B7ODk3ERAKhXeS0wcXRQRkQ2QVU&revid=0B7ODk3ERAKhXblBKSnI2OVlvRHovaGxxS1d6ZVVrM2NWUWc0PQ.png

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 3:14 AM Jorden Stones wrote:
Subject: Savini BM14

Message Body:
Hi Could you tell me what load rating in KG these wheels are rated to please?

Looking at 21" for a VW T6 Van.

Thanks in advance.

This might help.
I originally purchased these wheels in the diamond cut finish, which didn't last long in our winters, so had them powder coated in Gloss Black. LK were fantastic with after care. I've owned a lot of different alloys, and I can say that the quality of the Savini were far superior to all of my previous wheels. You do get what you pay for.
I still like the Savini BM11 but I'm running banded steels now, and it would take a hell of a wheel to get me off steel now.
The BM14 is a stunning wheel, I just didn't choose it because it looks too much like the Rotiform KPS, but out the two above, i'd certainly pick the Savini.
I will be very interested to see how it looks, because very few people opt for 21" including myself, but I just thought they'd be too big for the T6 and look out of proportion.

The only drawback is they are hell to maintain, get filthy within a few miles, and because of them being Black, and the rear dish being so exposed, you will find yourself removing the wheels constantly to clean the insides of the wheels if you're are fussy on how they look.
Saying that, as you know, Black is a nightmare colour full stop, but worth all the effort if you have the time.

20180630_190805-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the information @Tourershine really interesting to hear your advice And see your lovely van .

Since my last post I contacted a conversion dealer close to where I live in North Wales for a price on the Bentley SSR wheels as they have a few vans for sale with them on. They informed me that they no longer will be putting these on their vehicles as they are really weak build quality having vans sold with them on return as they have warped, bent and even cracked!

So the Bentleys are now out of the equation!

Really good to hear your happy with your Savini’s as my choice now is between two of their wheels.

BM14
upload_2019-1-30_18-32-18.jpeg

BM15
upload_2019-1-30_18-32-0.jpeg

My next dilemma is size!

The BM15 are only 20” but the BM14’s are available in both 20 & 21.

If I went for the 21” BM14 I was going 9” wide all round.

If I went for the 20” BM15 I would go staggered So 8.5” Front – 10.0" Rear.

I’m going to be converting the van to a camper so will the larger wheels be a problem?? Again anyone with any advice please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

3543C645-D45C-42EC-A217-7E95E54ECF01.jpeg D0501643-0438-4447-9A8C-A6D27ECD5AAF.jpeg 17C2564A-04D6-4535-9AE3-324DBC6116FE.jpeg

Here’s a few wheels I’ve had, the first one is a set of Khan 22” x 10 and I loved these when I had them on, it was a bit of a harsher ride but no one could have convinced me otherwise as just loved the look (10 years ago)
The second is the Rotiform KPS 8.5 front and 9.5 rears 20” which I got from LK wheels the first week I purchased the van, good ride quality but I now have air ride (even better) running 235/35/20 front and 255/35/20 rears on both sets now.
The 3rd picture is with Rotiform CCVs 20” 8.5 front and 9.5 rears same smooth ride but these are my summer or show wheels, love these wish I could keep these on all year but they are polished and salt etc on the roads will soon demolish the finish on them so they are in store at the moment, both sets get ceramic coated every 6 months
Choosing wheels is so hard to do with so many colours and designs etc, depends if your going to lower the van etc

Thanks for the information @Tourershine really interesting to hear your advice And see your lovely van .

Since my last post I contacted a conversion dealer close to where I live in North Wales for a price on the Bentley SSR wheels as they have a few vans for sale with them on. They informed me that they no longer will be putting these on their vehicles as they are really weak build quality having vans sold with them on return as they have warped, bent and even cracked!

So the Bentleys are now out of the equation!

Really good to hear your happy with your Savini’s as my choice now is between two of their wheels.

BM14
View attachment 36101

BM15
View attachment 36100

My next dilemma is size!

The BM15 are only 20” but the BM14’s are available in both 20 & 21.

If I went for the 21” BM14 I was going 9” wide all round.

If I went for the 20” BM15 I would go staggered So 8.5” Front – 10.0" Rear.

I’m going to be converting the van to a camper so will the larger wheels be a problem?? Again anyone with any advice please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

I love the BM15. A very different looking wheel, that will look awesome.
I'd go BM15 staggered in 20" out of the choice.
Pics Pics Pics.

Update...

Emailed Savini yesterday and was told that the BM15 are only load rated to 1800lbs (816kgs) in fact all of their 20 inch wheels are 1800lbs. :(

Looking at the sticker on the suspension bulkhead under the bonnet of my van it says:

3200Kg
5200Kg
1- 1710Kg
2 - 1720Kg

I assume that 1 is front and 2 is rear?

1710/2 = 855kg (front)
1720/2 = 860kg (rear)

Is this correct?

This wheel lark is turning into a right palaver!

The 21" BM14's are load rated to 2200lbs 997kgs so would be fine but I'm starting to have my doubt with this size mainly because hardly anyone has 21"s on their vans.

Might have to start my search all over again! :confused:

Update...

Emailed Savini yesterday and was told that the BM15 are only load rated to 1800lbs (816kgs) in fact all of their 20 inch wheels are 1800lbs. :(

Looking at the sticker on the suspension bulkhead under the bonnet of my van it says:

3200Kg
5200Kg
1- 1710Kg
2 - 1720Kg

I assume that 1 is front and 2 is rear?

1710/2 = 855kg (front)
1720/2 = 860kg (rear)

Is this correct?

This wheel lark is turning into a right palaver!

The 21" BM14's are load rated to 2200lbs 997kgs so would be fine but I'm starting to have my doubt with this size mainly because hardly anyone has 21"s on their vans.

Might have to start my search all over again! :confused:

As far as I am aware, yes, that is correct

Welcome to the headache of wheel choice.
Personally, I always doubt 21" on any Transporter, even 20" can look too big if the wrong choice of tyre is used, or it's not low enough. If you dig deep through the 100's of T6's on here, you will see that most opt for 18" some go 20" and the others go 19"
All have there compromises, and preferences, but it's nightmare finding the right wheel, and even harder if you're trying to be different.

What colour T6 do you have, and what is your suspension route?

Deep Pearl Black and B14's

:mexican wave:

Same as me then. Save yourself all the headache and ditch the alloys, go steel. (or recently named dustbin lids by several jealous members)
They are easy to clean, look awesome, and people are constantly stopping you to take pictures of a set of wheels they've never seen before ;)

20181230_121301.jpg

View attachment 36259

This has 21"s which don't look any different to 20's in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Again, it's personal choice. I just think they look out of proportion with the rest of the van. If it was on air, and they tucked under the arch, they'd pull off the look perfectly, but slightly lowered on 21" wheels just looks like a van that's had aftermarket wheels whacked on with little thought of the actual look they want to achieve. Some people might love that look, but it just looks wrong to my eyes.

Back