204ps BiTDi engine coolant under pressure when cold - help required

c_paul

VIP Member
Hi All,

I have a weird one that many of you many be able to help with if you have a moment.

Is it normal for the coolant system on a 204ps BiTDi to be under pressure when cold?

If anyone has one, that is cold, and could spare me 2 minutes of your time, could you please take the coolant cap off and see if there is any pressure there?

I have a 2016 and think the head gasket or cylinder head has a small pathway to the coolant circuit but the dealer thinks otherwise. Main symptom is coolant under pressure when cold. Was losing coolant and has had the egr replaced but it is still losing coolant and is still under pressure. Garage claims residual pressure is nothing to worry about.

This is getting very expensive. :(

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,
My 2022 204ps is cold and has no noticeable pressure...11k miles on the clock.
Cheers
Al

If there is no detection of combustion gases in the coolant system it could be a very small crack in the charge air cooler that seals when the induction system returns to atmospheric pressure when the engine is stopped.

The coolant system needs specific procedures to bleed out properly..

Running pumps in specific secuence, from diagnostics kit.

So you may have an airlocked system?

“Dealer says residual pressure is nothing to worry about” I heard some cr..p in my life from dealers but that’s rubbish. Get a knowledgeable technician to undertake a sequence of tests to determine why residual pressure exists. You mention still losing coolant which could point towards a head gasket but that would show contamination in the coolant. I would start by releasing the pressure from cold and doing a cold engine reverse pressure air test over 12 hours.

Back