2017 t6 and euro 5 engine?

NorthernT6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, in a bit of a dilemma and need some advice from those in the know! Just put a deposit down on a 67 plate T30 Kombi, DSG, LED Lights, comfort dash etc. Very well spec,d and in iridium grey, its a Leighton vans conversion so has the full Sportline package. Everything I have been looking for and as usual more than I originally budget for! The only niggles I have and need some reassurance or advice with are:

1. The van was advertised as the 150hp upon looking at the log book it says it’s a 103kw , google tells me this is the 140hp engine and hence the euro 5, would this be correct on a 67 plate I thought it would of changed to euro 6 by then? Forgot to check if it took adblue in filler cap!

2. if the engine is a euro 5 would that be a major issue, and should it be reflected in the price? I wouldn’t be driving into London so the emission charges wouldn’t be an issue.

3. dealer says it might of had a remap but he’s not sure, is there a easy way to check if Leighton vans had done this? Would Leighton vans hold records of this?

cheers in advance.

Can’t answer all the points, however imho a Euro5 engine would be a plus point especially as you state you won’t be going into London.
others might have a different perspective.

Euro 6 version (Adblue) was from manufactured from September 2016 on, MY17 MY18 MY19 models ETC...

Last edited:
I bought our '16 plate Kombi secondhand, assuming it was Euro 6. Wasn't til I had a proper look and asked where the adblue went that we realised. I'm more than happy with it and no having to faff with adblue

Thanks....I did think post 16 was a euro 6 but also seen a few threads with people with 17 plates on a euro 5. The MY is 18 by the vin decoder which I can’t see how that’s possible but it’s registered Oct 17.:oops:

Have a 16 MY Euro 5 fully converted camper, am more than happy with its power and towing ability.

Not planning to take it into London and like not having to worry about adblue.

Euro 5 is a more reliable engine than the Euro 6, none of the Adblue or EGR issues that the Euro 6 has.
The issue with the older Euro 5 engines was the EGR cooler corroding internally, aluminuim oxide formed (yes the same as used on sandpaper) and passed into the engine destroying the bores / pistons.
This issue was fixed with a modified EGR cooler - Rev D. My 2016 MY 180PS has a Rev D so yours should have as well.
You can check the tab on the EGR cooler, see mine below.
1596285222981.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JOG
My combi is a 66 plate registered in Feb 2017 and is a euro 6.
The euro6 and adblue is retched and is killing my fuel economy.
I would see the absence of this as a plus point.

Thanks for the info sounds like a euro 5 is a positive then. Now thinking that I hope it’s not a euro 6

I don’t know much about Transit Customs but they are cheaper than a T6 and the head lights work, that’s a good start.

According to Parkers...

Euro 6 is a vehicle emissions standard that all new cars sold in Europe must meet. It became mandatory in September 2015.

So it should be a Euro 6, my 2016 certainly is.

According to Parkers...

Euro 6 is a vehicle emissions standard that all new cars sold in Europe must meet. It became mandatory in September 2015.

So it should be a Euro 6, my 2016 certainly is.

My 2016 T6 is Euro5.

Pete

hi I have a 2017 euro 6 I needed the euro 6 engine as I travel to London. I think so it will be hard to get in any city with a diesel.

16 and 67 reg I think are both euro 5 engines. I done a lot of research when I got mine.

We have had our T6 with Adblue for 2 years given all the issues we have had with adblue I regret not going for a Euro5 version. It would have saved considerable amount of frustration!

I'm on the hunt for my T4 replacement now. For me it has to be Euro 6. Yes, the Adblue reliability concerns me, but most cities are looking to restrict older technology engines in the very near future, both here and abroad, so it's not just about London. For the record, I never go to London either.
It's going to be hard to give up the T4 as it has been sooooo reliable, but lacks all the comforts, power and DSG.
There is a good chance I might regret the change in the long run though..... Hope not!

I'm on the hunt for my T4 replacement now. For me it has to be Euro 6. Yes, the Adblue reliability concerns me, but most cities are looking to restrict older technology engines in the very near future, both here and abroad, so it's not just about London. For the record, I never go to London either.
It's going to be hard to give up the T4 as it has been sooooo reliable, but lacks all the comforts, power and DSG.
There is a good chance I might regret the change in the long run though..... Hope not!
Good luck with your search but I have to say that we always have a worry when travelling that the Adblue issue will reappear, hopefully one day VW will admit they have a serious problem and properly address it but I'm not holding my breath!

Back