2017 102 whine/ high pitch noise

WeaversT6

T6 Pro
Hi

My 2017 T6 has just started making a new noise. I had a Pendle remap 12 months ago and all has been fine until now, no idea whether this is a contributing factor or not……

It’s immediately noticeable on start up and there is a definite whine when driving, especially during acceleration.

Could this be gearbox related?

The van has done 52k miles.

In order to help people to help you I think you might be wise to clarify;
You say it's immediately noticeable on start up - so, in neutral and stationary it whines?
Does the whine increase with engine revs (rather than road speed)?
You don't say if it's manual or DSG, but if it's a manual does dipping the clutch change anything?
Has the performance been affected?
Have a read through some of these threads, not all will be relevant obviously, but it might help;

It’s a manual, on start up and when stationary there appears to be a rattle/ roughness that wasn’t there before. When driving, under acceleration the whine is noticeable. Yes, dipping the clutch or putting it into neutral stops the whine when moving.

The rattle when stationary seems to be coming from the timing belt cover area. The belt and water pump were replaced last year.

Can you record it on you phone.... Then Post a link to it here?

Get it back to the garage that did the belt change last year for them to check - it should have guarantee from them for workmanship and parts.

The noise is similar to what I've experienced when a belt tension is wrong (usually too tight) so you would normally notice that straight away and it shouldn't really develop with time. The tensioning of the belt on these engines is simple enough, rotate the tensioner and a pointer moves into a slot when it's correct so that bit should be ok. There is an issue that can affect the tension which is around the M8 stud that the tensioner is mounted on and the crazy 20Nm + 45 degrees spec that VAG use for the nut which puts the stud into plastic deformation. If this stud is not replaced, or if it is replaced but the threads in the cylinder head were damaged, the tensioner can slacken or oscillate and then fail. I'm not saying that is your issue, but any noise from the timing belt area needs to be investigated straight away.

Right, so it went in to the garage yesterday. Turns out it’s the alternator and it needs replacing. Already had the aux belt and tensioner done last year.

Question is, a new one from VW is about £500, can they be remanufactured or are there any aftermarket ones available?

I suspect you've already had it replaced......but just in case there will be places local to you that recondition them. A squealing alternator is likely from a dry/worn bearing and these are simple enough to replace by the places that recondition them.

I suspect you've already had it replaced......but just in case there will be places local to you that recondition them. A squealing alternator is likely from a dry/worn bearing and these are simple enough to replace by the places that recondition them.
Cheers, it’s not been done yet. Booked in for next week. I’m going with the recondition option, as it seems new alternators are currently in short supply - I’ve been told many are made in the Ukraine?

Back