150ps DSG Performance

PukkaT6

Pukka Insurance
T6 Legend
just interested in peoples opinion in regards to this engine option with the DSG box?

Only driven an older 140 with DSG (Caravelle Executive) for two weeks.

Put me off DSG for life. Not very nippy. Violently thirsty. Hesitates badly from a standstill.

Not for me.

I need to mention that plenty of people love DSG boxes so don't just take my word for it.

On the upside, upshifts are very smooth. And errmmm, upshifts are very smooth.

The 150 is plenty for a van really but I'm very glad we ended up with 204 for the Cali - I think it would struggle with 150PS.

I think you would struggle as well, as soon as you experience 200bhp its hard to go backwards. I have heard a few stories about problems remapping the EU-6 engines but having spoken to my guy I'm most likely going to get it done to mine so should be around the same performance as a 204. Not sure what the difference between the two engines is internally.

Mmm that's a good question, I don't know what size turbo is on a 150, and if the 204 has two of the same, two smaller, or two of different sizes. @Pauly, any clarity on this?

Mmm that's a good question, I don't know what size turbo is on a 150, and if the 204 has two of the same, two smaller, or two of different sizes. @Pauly, any clarity on this?

I used to have a 330d and 335d and the remapped 330d was faster than standard spec 335d despite the fact the latter had 2 turbo's - those were smaller iirc

84/102/150 are all the same engine, same Turbo just a different map and 6 speed box on the 150.
204 uses a bi Turbo setup, a smaller high pressure Turbo and a bigger low pressure turbo. Yes I did get that the right way round.

I have my 150 pendle remapped to 188bhp & 320lbft. Still wish I had a 204 and get that remapped to 260bhp.

Dsg........... different story. I like to work for my gears and speed so manual box for me.

Is 150 enough for a van...... Ignore power. It's the torque you want in a diesel. As much torque as possible.

I got the DSG as ultimately I prefer lazy driving these days, and i sit in rush hour traffic for an hour so hate changing between first and second all the time ha

As you can see my daily commute is painful

IMG_7520.JPG

I used to have a 330d and 335d and the remapped 330d was faster than standard spec 335d despite the fact the latter had 2 turbo's - those were smaller iirc
The problem was, the 335d had proper hydraulic steering, the 330d had much less pleasant electric assistance. And worse brakes.

Yep the 204 is bi-turbo (not twin); one smaller one for low revs, a bigger one for higher revs. I can notice the step between them at 3k rpm but it's not a problem; just feels slightly artificial in power delivery.

I'd always get the higher powered one to start with; it will come with the right gearbox and brakes. A remapped one won't.

If I was often stuck in heavy traffic, I'd maybe consider DSG; there's a long hill to Saltash that's always jammed up (A39) and holding the clutch for a mile or so crawl does get tiresome.

But that's maybe twice a year so much happier with manual. Prefer the very low speed control too for things like getting onto levelling ramps.

I jump from a 150 dsg into a 204 dsg most nights and the difference isn't massive. The 204 is just more relaxed and the dsg box suits it really well, the 150 is really punchy but suffers from a restricted rev range and works the dsg a little harder.

Now if you have only driven the 150 it will always make you smile and you wouldn't disappointed, just if you get in a 204 you will always think this feels right.

But I always find I push the 150 a bit harder, it's more of a holligan.

Remember when I lived in Trematon in early 80's, landlords bonnet flew open on that hill and wrapped itself over the roof....Vauxhall Ventura (or something ). Was a member of Landrake YFC back then.

I hope not for your sake @Davenjo.
Catching up with the woes on others threads earlier - I hope not as well!!! Nothing to suggest it will at the moment - I've only noticed it doing a regen twice, both in the first few weeks of ownership, whilst sat on my drive, after doing a short run, with the ignition off - my understanding is that in the normal run of events I probably wouldn't even notice it doing a regen so I expect it has probably done more?

My understanding (extremely limited) is that it'll only regen whilst the engine is running in order to burn the muck out of the DPF? I seem to think that a few people have posted up that they think a regen has been occurring after they park up, but that is just the fan continuing to run. May have completely misunderstood info from the other threads. Perhaps @Pauly, @T6 Dave or @RattyMcClelland could put us straight?

Back