102BHP

I have a 102 5 speed and I'm ok with it.
It's a camper and it's a van not a performance car.
I had a polo GTi before the van and a Toyota GT 86 before that now I have a van and drive like it's a van.
When I want more power to use I'll switch back to a car...
Yeah, but would you be happy for 50bhp to removed from car?

I have a 102BPH - 5 speed and I have travelled across Spain, Germany and France. Up hills and down dales as they say. Fully loaded including bikes on back (see my old posts) and it's fine. I would take the deal and get on with enjoying the camper. You are very lucky they are being so helpful.

I'm with @Big Al - you should be seeking a like-for-like replacement. There was obviously a reason you chose you current van spec, so why be downgraded just because that's what the dealer currently has in stock?

“They have said they can remap to 150bhp but ‘is’ that a wise thing to do?”

Hi @Carnut2chris
There are many, many posts regarding remapping, or not, the Euro 6 102bhp engine.
Revo, probably one of the largest companies in this line of work, have stopped remapping this version.
I would suggest a lot of research into the matter before going down this route.
Andy

Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with the 102 if that's all you need. I have 2 cars to do the fast cruise stuff and the van just potters,
However, that's not the point.
Don't take one as a swap for a higher spec van just because the lazy b*stards can't be bothered to find you a matched replacement.

On the dealer side of things, they have been nothing but great and are not trying to palm me off with anything, they have offered a few vans for me to choose from, and the my van is being settled with the finance company so I'm free to go with anyone

One of those vans was a newer highline van, less millage with extra free stuff added to the build, two years warranty but it being a 102bhp, so I just wondered what the 102bhp was like to drive around, ill be mostly town driving until we go away during the summer months around Carmarthenshire so was looking for a bit of advice

Lots of food for thought though

On the dealer side of things, they have been nothing but great and are not trying to palm me off with anything, they have offered a few vans for me to choose from, and the my van is being settled with the finance company so I'm free to go with anyone

One of those vans was a newer highline van, less millage with extra free stuff added to the build, two years warranty but it being a 102bhp, so I just wondered what the 102bhp was like to drive around, ill be mostly town driving until we go away during the summer months around Carmarthenshire so was looking for a bit of advice

Lots of food for thought though
Take it for a test drive, it’s your opinion that counts not ours.

My camper is a 5 speed 102....the only l time i've found it a little underpowered was fully laden and 4up going up some of the steeper hills in the Peak District.
I had to have the gearbox rebuilt a couple of years ago soon after I bought it as there was a slight issue I wasn't happy with but others probably wouldn't of noticed (and the dealer told me at one point that was 'normal') .It had been a builders van with a tow bar which may of explained it. I have no plans to change it atm.
Compared with my new DSG 6.1 204 ps it obviously lags behind, but THATS a different beast altogether!

@Carnut2chris

Maybe you could enquire as to whether someone local-ish to you had a converted 102bhp camper and would be willing to take you out?
Then you could judge for yourself.

We all want/need different things from our Transporters;
Some ‘need’;
A Highline Kombi
DSG
LWB
More power
Twin soft-close glazed sliding doors
Swivel front seats
LED headlights
Heated seats
A lightweight occasional ‘day’ van
19”’wheels
50mm lowered suspension
Removable towbar
Etc, etc!

Take your time, prioritise your own wants/needs and go with them?

Cheers,
Andy

PS Above list actually most of mine, but still not quite all done.
(Full LED lights being most expensive outstanding one)

I suppose it is all relative. I have a 19 plate 102 bhp 5 sp and I am quite happy. Compared with my previous Motorhome, a Hymer, 1994 based on a 2.5 td Ducato it is light years better. Probably last van I will own as I don’t anticipating driving for more than another 10/12 years.

I have a 102hp camper. No issues whatsoever. These are the kind of questions that I think can't really be answered in this kind of forum because everyone has different expectations and wants and come from a different previous vehicle. You're going to get every possible different answer. I had a Peugeot 108 before my van which couldn't pull it's way out of a paper bag. So to me it's a performance upgrade. Just my humble opinion but it really depends on how you want to drive your van. And only you can decide that. I'm a chilled out pootling around kind of guy so my 102hp camper is perfect.

I have a 102hp camper. No issues whatsoever. These are the kind of questions that I think can't really be answered in this kind of forum because everyone has different expectations and wants and come from a different previous vehicle. You're going to get every possible different answer. I had a Peugeot 108 before my van which couldn't pull it's way out of a paper bag. So to me it's a performance upgrade. Just my humble opinion but it really depends on how you want to drive your van. And only you can decide that. I'm a chilled out pootling around kind of guy so my 102hp camper is perfect.
Agree that you'll never get unanimity on this type of topic, but at least if someone voices the opinion you were looking for, it dilutes the culpability if things don't turn out as you'd hoped. :rofl:

Whilst we do not buy Campers for outright power, I personally wouldn’t want to drop from the 150 /dsg. My feeling is that this combo is the ‘sweet spot’. Between performance ease of driving and mpg.
Maybe if you’ve never had it you wouldn’t miss it. Each to their own and all that.

Back