100w solar panel enough for a fridge?

DarrenTT

T6 Pro
Hi all, quick question ref a 100w solar panel that I’m having installed. I’ve also asked for a dometic fridge to be installed. Would the 100w panel be enough to keep the leisure battery topped up and keep the fridge going? Especially over winter.

if its a good panel, and a good MPPT solar controller, and you have good sun, and its a compressor fridge . . . . . then it SHOULD do.

Your be hard pressed to get anything from 100w panel over winter unless its a very bright day. (500w maybe)

100w decent solar setup will give you 6A (isc)

so look at adding a second mobile panel.

more info:

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

We’ve got a 250w panel and I wouldn’t rely on it to keep the battery in a good state of charge with the fridge on over winter. You’d be fine on clear days, but on wet/overcast days you won’t be putting in as much as the fridge is taking out. Completely different situation in summer, we happily just leave the fridge on and forget about it.

The simple answer to your question is No, not in winter.

Pete

Practical thought that just come to mind is if it’s less than 5degrees outside things like milk can be put under the van. Thank you for replies so far. No doubt I’ll look at upgrading as I use the van

Back