Yet Another Potential Owner.

juliang

Just joined and thought I would get my first post in. I've been mulling over what vehicle to get next as a family transporter for several months now and then a couple of weeks ago I stumbled across VW Transporters. I've been hooked ever since and can't believe I've not thought of this before!!

I know there's a ton of information to be found on here and I'm still chewing through but I did have a couple of questions I wonder whether someone might be able to help with please.

With a budget in mind and a family car to part-exchange I'm looking at getting a 2016/17 SWB T6 Highline Panel Van in either silver or grey. Aside from Autotrader are there any places worth keeping an eye on or recommendations people might have?

As we have a 2nd car the plan is to convert the panel van to a Kombi as and when funds allow. I'm located in Leeds and wonder if anyone can recommend a company that would be able to do that. I'd also be interested in looking at doing some of the work myself where possible to keep costs down. I think I can just about get a T6 and do this without overstretching myself.

Other than that and the obligatory rims and lowered suspension I'd having nothing much planned for it. Just something we can get 2 adults, 2 kids in and enough room for luggage / camping gear / bikes etc.

Thanks - J.

Welcome to the world of +VAT - you'll find the perfect van and suddenly realise 20% BOOM, just be aware I know it's obvious to some but easy to miss in some adverts

Haha yes thank you, been caught out by that already. So certainly paying attention to the for sale price when looking around.

So ... maybe I'm just a little naive in this area and could do with some guidance when it comes to where I should be looking for a potential new to me van. Aside from Autotrader or VW Approved Used Vans are there any recommendations people might have?

I'm looking for a 2016/2017 T6 SWB Highline Panel Van, must be silver / grey and must be able to take my car as part-ex. Well I've not looked at selling it privately to be honest, just seems easier to part-ex.

As an aside is mileage on these anything to be concerned about? I've seen a few that are maybe 2-3yrs old and have 50+k on them. Assuming they have been serviced correctly should I let this bother me? I don't use a car day to day to commute so am used to owning cars that do very little most of the time. Current car I've had from new in 2016 and only has 13.5k on the clock so I get a bit twitchy when I see what I perceive as high mileage vehicles that are only a few years old :)

Anyway, any help / advice would be really appreciated.

If you're going to chop yours in then a dealer is the way to go. When I was looking as vans recently the dealer network vans didn't seem any worse than private prices plus you get a warranty. 50k is nothing, just remember that the timing belt is due at 4 yrs / 80k mls, but with your mileage it is likely you will hit the time interval first.

With a low mileage car like yours it should get snapped up privately and you would gain some money which your could put towards the van?

You don't need to worry about 50k mileage on any modern vehicle as long as it has been serviced properly. And you can go higher than that e.g. my day-to-day car is a 13 year old Audi, with 85k on the clock and it has been perfect for the 2 years that I have owned it.

Pete

Hi - you are the perfect candidate for that mileage because you will soon bring it back into line and also get a cheaper deal up front - one thing that knocks the price is higher miles so should be a win

So I've seen one ... hopefully off to view tomorrow. It seems to tick all the boxes and the figures are just about right. It's a Highline with barn doors and at a VW Van Center not a million miles away from me. Now I don't want to get all giddy when I get there, so does anyone have any words of wisdom on things to check other than the obvious. I'm not completely naive when it comes to car / van buying. So will obviously give it a good visual check over, make sure the paper work / servicing etc. is in order.

Is there anything else I should be looking out for or is worth considering. Its look like a very nice clean example to me.

Thanks.

Back