Yay! I get to do my thermostat

You'll have fun changing it. Must be a good hours job to get in there and then bleed the air out.

I still think it's normal that the heater cools the engine quickly in the winter. It's a problem we have in traffic where the engine doesn't warm up enough to blow hot air.

Thermostats are not designed to have a finite life. If the VW ones are anything like Audi the plastic housing breaks when detaching.

@Littleblackflash thanks for stating the obvious but never said it’s in traffic, and piece of piss bleeding the air out when there’s none to bled it’s called using the correct tools and vacuum filling

For one the outlet pipe steadily heats up as with engine, this should be cold all the time engine is building up to normal temp and then open but it’s failed open therefore having an complete circuit in the waterway and not open and shutting to maintain engine temperature, hence why the heaters are cooling the engine down

Reactions: mmi
Thanks again.
I look forward to your update after replacement.
I am also curious how stuck open thermostat look like.

Reactions: mmi
In these types of thermostat they don’t look like the conventional ones people used to put in hot water to check whilst reading their Haynes manuals, they have a mechanical linkage inside that opens almost like a ball valve, I can cut the old one open if you’d like

Well, it has been unseasonably cold, and I'm using my van full time now to avoid any confusion should I be tugged by the 5-0 and questioned as to the exact essential nature of my journey.

I stick the heater on max as soon as I start up, and the water temp increases to, and then stays resolutely at 80 degrees, oil temp to about 75 degrees. Whether an essential 10 miles or 60. Never noticed this before. Previously have always seen water to 90 degrees, and oil from 95-105 degrees. It's been ambient 0-2 degrees first thing for the last couple of weeks here.

When the thing warms up, if I then turn heater off, water goes to the standard 90 degrees, oil 80-100 degrees. Turning heater back on to aforementioned full blast, water stays at 90 degrees. Likewise have been leaving a site in the afternoon, ambient 2 degrees or so, same happens.

Don't think it's a duff 'stat. Just how it is. Also, very notchy power steering for first mile or so in the cold weather... Would have thought they'd have that sorted by now.....

Mine is dropping a lot lower than 80 lol, should get time to do it next week been to busy at work to get the van in

Well, it has been unseasonably cold, and I'm using my van full time now to avoid any confusion should I be tugged by the 5-0 and questioned as to the exact essential nature of my journey.

I stick the heater on max as soon as I start up, and the water temp increases to, and then stays resolutely at 80 degrees, oil temp to about 75 degrees. Whether an essential 10 miles or 60. Never noticed this before. Previously have always seen water to 90 degrees, and oil from 95-105 degrees. It's been ambient 0-2 degrees first thing for the last couple of weeks here.

When the thing warms up, if I then turn heater off, water goes to the standard 90 degrees, oil 80-100 degrees. Turning heater back on to aforementioned full blast, water stays at 90 degrees. Likewise have been leaving a site in the afternoon, ambient 2 degrees or so, same happens.

Don't think it's a duff 'stat. Just how it is. Also, very notchy power steering for first mile or so in the cold weather... Would have thought they'd have that sorted by now.....
Assuming no Webasto auxiliary coolant heater on-board?

CE = Chinese Engineering, right?!! Nothing to worry about then!

CE = Chinese Export ! :D

I've taken it to bits to have a look, surprisingly well made. Impressed for the price.

When I do stick it in, I'll keep a nose out for odd burning smells.............

Reactions: JOG
CE = Chinese Export ! :D

I've taken it to bits to have a look, surprisingly well made. Impressed for the price.

When I do stick it in, I'll keep a nose out for odd burning smells.............
I have seen lots of positive reviews. And, I agree, we can be quick to sneer yet we buy lots of their products!

I find you generally get what you pay for and it’s important to assess the consequences of it failing.

Reactions: JOG
I find you generally get what you pay for and it’s important to assess the consequences of it failing.

We're very familiar with this concept; We all bough the most expensive panel van, and live with the outstanding quality of the product and exemplary dealer network support. ;) Whilst our poor friends, who skimped and bought Hyundai iLoad and their ilk, laugh all the way to the bank with their reliable thermostats, seven year warranties and rare dealer visits................:unsure::unsure:

Back