Yay! I get to do my thermostat

Niknak

Mechanic
T6 Legend
Been a few weeks of not having to do anything and the thermostat failed this morning luckily open so no rush probably a jobfor the weekend

How did you work that one out? (Without sounding patronising)

That could be normal in these cold conditions. When the engine isn't working much, they can be cooled easily with the heater. When the engine warm (90deg) check the rad is still cold.

Remember the heater is connected to the engine water temp, not the rad temp.

I had this once on a Disco 2, turned out to be fuel getting into the coolant and the fuel dissolved the rubber diaphragm in the stat(was all floppy).

I had this once on a Disco 2, turned out to be fuel getting into the coolant and the fuel dissolved the rubber diaphragm in the stat(was all floppy).
You gotta love Land Rover for making what seems impossible possible.....fuel in the coolant! I’d rather have a Dartmoor pony as a daily drive.

You gotta love Land Rover for making what seems impossible possible.....fuel in the coolant! I’d rather have a Dartmoor pony as a daily drive.
In their wisdom, the fuel passed through a gallery in the head to feed the injectors. The Cylinder head was cracked and when it heated up and the head expanded then fuel passed into the cooling circuit as it was at a much higher pressure than the coolant.

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
That could be normal in these cold conditions. When the engine isn't working much, they can be cooled easily with the heater. When the engine warm (90deg) check the rad is still cold.

Remember the heater is connected to the engine water temp, not the rad temp.
No it’s defo the thermostat

In their wisdom, the fuel passed through a gallery in the head to feed the injectors. The Cylinder head was cracked and when it heated up and the head expanded then fuel passed into the cooling circuit as it was at a much higher pressure than the coolant.
My mate makes a pretty good living out of repairing them in the local area, they’re just a fashion accessory to go with the shooting jacket and cocker spaniels. Take their money I say.

looks simple enough . . . . . . :geek: NOT !!!!

1610484988914.png

1610485058109.png

1610485075130.png

In order to flush out possible air bubbles after filling, a bleeder process must be carried out with the tester. This involves activating the electric coolant pumps in various combinations. Activation is first without the engine running, and then at specified engine speeds.

1610485111273.png

Engine warms up ok but with heaters on pulls the coolant temp down quickly
What's your coolant temperature(read from the IC) when heater is OFF and what is it when heater is ON?
And I presume that you are referring to internal air blower (with temperature set to anything above +21°C) as a heater.

Can we see it on your thermal imaging camera please...... =) (lol you know the types)

Engine warms up ok but with heaters on pulls the coolant temp down quickly
Can you please explain?
Temp down quickly?
How do you measure that?
What is quickly and what is slowly?

Back