What Vinyl Wrap are you using?

Depends what your doing, if it's a large area or curved etc you need 3m or avery. It's not cheap but easier to fit and will last longer.

Just looking into wrapping the lower half of my van in a dark metallic blue myself. Anyone looked into this and can recommend which is the best wrap material to get? 3M ?

Thanks.

I would stick with Avery, Arlon or Oracal. Avery is the easiest to work with Arlon is on par with it but a massive lack of colours. Oracal has a big range of colours but has a high initial tack and more difficult to work with. I’m not a fan of 3M it’s quite easy to use. If you need any pointers I’ll try my best to help out.

Interesting, I hadn’t noticed we has a professional in our ranks, is this an opportunity to hear some insight into the different products, what their best for, material thickness, uses (graphics v protection etc.)?

I had 3m on ours but there weren’t many available in 2016.

my question is what is the best clear product if you were going to wrap the whole vehicle?

Interesting, I hadn’t noticed we has a professional in our ranks, is this an opportunity to hear some insight into the different products, what their best for, material thickness, uses (graphics v protection etc.)?

I had 3m on ours but there weren’t many available in 2016.

my question is what is the best clear product if you were going to wrap the whole vehicle?
I don’t really get involved with PPF but Hexis body fence is a vinyl also Stek have been around for years and are good. I do more commercial and colour change. The wrap films now are pretty thin and offer some protection for branches small stone chips but as you probably know they offer the best protection from the elements and the swirl marks from washing. The added bonus is now come in so many finishes and colours. Normally customers have to much choice now!

I would stick with Avery, Arlon or Oracal. Avery is the easiest to work with Arlon is on par with it but a massive lack of colours. Oracal has a big range of colours but has a high initial tack and more difficult to work with. I’m not a fan of 3M it’s quite easy to use. If you need any pointers I’ll try my best to help out.
Oo nice thanks Petezum. Yep from my searching online it seemed 3M and Avery are the market leaders.

I’ll look to get Avery then. Do you sell the stuff and tools necessary or are you just an independent?

I can get everything at a trade price and supply the squeegee etc I don’t supply the public as my business but if it saves you a few quid I’m happy to do so. Also you get what you pay for, a lot of these online places are knock off vinyls. Let me know I’ll see if I can help you out.

@Petezum yes as loz says good to have some insight knowledge around vinyl wrapping. Looking to wrap my pop top but probably to big a job for me on my own.

I can get everything at a trade price and supply the squeegee etc I don’t supply the public as my business but if it saves you a few quid I’m happy to do so. Also you get what you pay for, a lot of these online places are knock off vinyls. Let me know I’ll see if I can help you out.
Many thanks. I’m just getting some samples first and will let you know.

@Petezum yes as loz says good to have some insight knowledge around vinyl wrapping. Looking to wrap my pop top but probably to big a job for me on my own.
Yes doing a roof is not a task to tackle on your own. I work alone and it’s a hard slog doing a roof. If it’s flat not so bad but if it has all the rigids! With roofs it’s all about how you set your self up. I could try and give you pointers if you was going to tackle it.

I think when I re wrap my whole in the next couple of months I may try and do a beginners guide. Don’t even know if it would be possible maybe videos or pic with some write up on technique and how to approach different areas? Although bumpers would be fairly complex. Don’t know maybe I’ll give it a whirl?

Would I be right in saying that after a DIY wrapping of a vehicle by most of us, we'd ending spending more money after we'd attempted it, getting a pro to do it properly?

Reactions: Bav
Maybe that’s my whole plan!!! Ha ha only joking, your probably right is not an easy task to take on doing larger areas. Also you have to strip down handles, lights etc. would be ok if it’s not your daily runner as could leave clean and stripped down and do it at your leisure if not it would be a very long job!

Maybe that’s my whole plan!!! Ha ha only joking, your probably right is not an easy task to take on doing larger areas. Also you have to strip down handles, lights etc. would be ok if it’s not your daily runner as could leave clean and stripped down and do it at your leisure if not it would be a very long job!
Yep, looking forward to your video guide :)

How do you go about tackling the rear nearside panel that has the sliding door runner guide in it if you are only wrapping the lower half?

Back