Worktop storage solutions

nelpiece

Hello all,

New to the forum here and great to see such a lively community. I’m taking my family on a four week trip to France in August (eek!) in our VW camper.

We have two young sons and I would like to make better use of the worktop surface area whilst we are on the move. I would like to know of any storage solutions for things such as water bottles, colouring books, cuddly toys etc. I was thinking of a basket with suction cups similar to what you can buy for showers however I’d need suction cups to be on the bottom of the basket instead of on one side.

I realise that any loose articles could fly around the van interior if I had to brake suddenly however I really could do with something to store things for the kids and I wouldn’t put anything too heavy in there.

Can anyone suggest anything? I’ve attached a photo of the worktop area which I’d like to make better use of.

Thanks.

C4596A71-DE70-4D97-8DB6-F4471E2E68BD.jpeg

I can't see beyond the top of the photo but have you considered a couple of shelves (with edges and front lip to stop things falling out) or an elasticated cargo net on the exterior wall?

Have a look around IKEA, they have some great storage solutions. I've just bought this but haven't decided whether I have a use for it yet.....

20220611_165051.jpg

I can't see beyond the top of the photo but have you considered a couple of shelves (with edges and front lip to stop things falling out) or an elasticated cargo net on the exterior wall?
Hi Mule, thanks for your reply. The child nearest the worktop wouldn’t be able to reach anything on the wall whilst they are strapped in with their seatbelt. I was hoping to have some storage on the worktop surface so they can reach it easily. Basically, them asking for snacks and water bottles whilst we’re on the move and whoever’s in the passenger seat having to throw them in the hope that one the kids catches them (mostly not!) is a bit of a pain

Hi Mule, thanks for your reply. The child nearest the worktop wouldn’t be able to reach anything on the wall whilst they are strapped in with their seatbelt. I was hoping to have some storage on the worktop surface so they can reach it easily. Basically, them asking for snacks and water bottles whilst we’re on the move and whoever’s in the passenger seat having to throw them in the hope that one the kids catches them (mostly not!) is a bit of a pain
No idea what your setup is, but can’t you rig something in between them on the rear seat? A net bag or some kind of centre console. The problem with having bits of stuff stored on worktops etc. is that you have to find somewhere to put it when you want to use the space.

How about some little discret hooks on cupboards (and opposite van wall for the other seat) on which you can hang a small canvas bags full of whatever supplies they need?

Alternatively, what's under the worktop nearest the seat? Could you cut a hole into the worktop and sink a cup holder for their drinks bottle? Depending on your carpentry skills, the cup holder could be sunken allowing the piece of worktop to be put back in place when you need a flat worktop.

Velcro strips on the work surface and on the bottom of a small plastic box with a lid, the sort you get in the local diy shop. Cut some round holes in the top so the lid acts as a drink holder for cups with a lid on. All the book etc can go in the box. When the trips over remove the Velcro strips from the work surface with a hairdryer to soften the glue - a bit Blue Peter but will work

Velcro strips on the work surface and on the bottom of a small plastic box with a lid, the sort you get in the local diy shop. Cut some round holes in the top so the lid acts as a drink holder for cups with a lid on. All the book etc can go in the box. When the trips over remove the Velcro strips from the work surface with a hairdryer to soften the glue - a bit Blue Peter but will work
That’s good idea, thanks. I’ve used those Velcro strips for hanging pictures so I know they are secure. Thanks all for your replies

Hello all,

New to the forum here and great to see such a lively community. I’m taking my family on a four week trip to France in August (eek!) in our VW camper.

We have two young sons and I would like to make better use of the worktop surface area whilst we are on the move. I would like to know of any storage solutions for things such as water bottles, colouring books, cuddly toys etc. I was thinking of a basket with suction cups similar to what you can buy for showers however I’d need suction cups to be on the bottom of the basket instead of on one side.

I realise that any loose articles could fly around the van interior if I had to brake suddenly however I really could do with something to store things for the kids and I wouldn’t put anything too heavy in there.

Can anyone suggest anything? I’ve attached a photo of the worktop area which I’d like to make better use of.

Thanks.

View attachment 160230
Nano tape, you can stick it to any surface lift off easily leaving no residue. It won’t move in transit but can be cleared away without leaving a mess afterwards

How about getting some of these, and a box of your choice?

12 Pieces Large Suction Cup Plastic Sucker Pads Rubber Transparent Anti-Collision Sucker Pad Metal Nut Stud Transparent PVC Strong Suction Cup Replacement with Screw Nut for Glass Table (40M5-10) https://amzn.eu/d/3nqnbtS

Back