Windows with no seal

winstonedd

T6 Pro
Hi All,

did try searching for posts relevant but had no luck (m sure someone who has been around longer will share a link)

I've been watching a lot of videos about carpet lining windows with no seals and this is the route i would prefer, however all the videos i found have a U or J seal on the frame which means they use the seals as a guide for the tubes of bonding adhesive

can anyone advise me on the best way to correctly place the tube of adhesive on the van if im not going to have a J or U seal? im worried i will end up getting the adhesive inside the van as there will be no seal to prevent this

alternatively, do i just get some J seals and carpet up and into the seal after?

i have all the kit except the J seal so i was wishing to start this week but now im worried i should just wait and buy the J seal (although this is not my preference in terms of carpet lining after)

kind regards

I put a few small pieces of j trim around the metal frame to create a ‘spacer’ to stop me pushing the window too tight against the metal.
Then I put the bead of sealant around and stuck the window on.
I then removed the bits of trim which left a gap which enabled me to tuck the carpet edge down between the panel and the window using a trim tool.
Mask the metal work smaller than the glass size then put the sealant inside of the masking then when you put the window on, if it squeezes out a little you will remove any when you pull the masking tape off as it starts to cure.
Should be a decent gap to the inside frame so shouldn’t get any excess sealant pushed up to the inside.
Hope that makes sense.

I put a few small pieces of j trim around the metal frame to create a ‘spacer’ to stop me pushing the window too tight against the metal.
I then removed the bits of trim which left a gap which enabled me to tuck the carpet edge down between the panel and the window using a trim tool.
Mask the metal work smaller than the glass size then put the sealant inside of the masking then when you put the window on, if it squeezes out a little you will remove any when you pull the masking tape off as it starts to cure.
Should be a decent gap to the inside frame so shouldn’t get any excess sealant pushed up to the inside.
Hope that makes sense.
that's great help! thank you :)

Hope that makes sense.
Nice guide.

Did you find applying the adhesive easy enough to do straight without having trim around the entire window to lean the nozzle against?

The nozzle has a large cut out to give the correct deapth of sealant without having to cut a slice off like you would with silicon.
Once you’ve got your outer edge marked with masking tape just run a line round somewhere inside that.0E95E1E8-19E7-4D84-8940-66926ACC65C5.jpeg

Back