Windows first or carpet lining first? - RESOLVED

djgriff

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, i am looking to convert my van but haven't really found a hit list of what to do and when. So i am looking to put windows in and also carpet line my van. Would it be best to line first or do windows first?
Any help would be great

Thanks
Daniel

p.s excuse me if this has been asked a million time, i just couldn't locate any answers

Hi, i am looking to convert my van but haven't really found a hit list of what to do and when. So i am looking to put windows in and also carpet line my van. Would it be best to line first or do windows first?
Any help would be great

Thanks
Daniel

p.s excuse me if this has been asked a million time, i just couldn't locate any answers
Definitely windows first…. you don’t want any carpet lining in there when you’re cutting the windows out (sparks)!

I’m following the sequence I’ve seen somewhere here, to cut holes, and then wrap the carpet over the cut edge. Then install the glass. Gives a tidy finish to the joint between carpet and glass. Doesn’t require rubber edge trim for the carpeted panels.

I’m following the sequence I’ve seen somewhere here, to cut holes, and then wrap the carpet over the cut edge. Then install the glass. Gives a tidy finish to the joint between carpet and glass. Doesn’t require rubber edge trim for the carpeted panels.
That sounds like an interesting way to do it, and yeah i guess that would be super clean from the inside. thanks for the heads up!

Cheers
Daniel

If you don’t have time to do it all at once then you can put a few pieces of the j-trim around the cutout for the window to act as a spacer and then fit the windows.
Remove the bits of window trim and then when you carpet-line you can tuck the carpet down between windows and bodywork using a trim tool.
Means you can get the windows in as one job and carpet line as another if you wish.

If you don’t have time to do it all at once then you can put a few pieces of the j-trim around the cutout for the window to act as a spacer and then fit the windows.
Remove the bits of window trim and then when you carpet-line you can tuck the carpet down between windows and bodywork using a trim tool.
Means you can get the windows in as one job and carpet line as another if you wish.
I am going to attempt this method because I am kind of forced to do so with a pop-top install coming up soon. They don't want the van to be carpeted, but I've already cut the holes for the windows.

I want to make sure I get this right..
  • Insert 2 x 2-inch j-trim pieces on each of the four sides of each cutout. Each piece should be probably located somewhere near enough to a corner?
  • Follow all window application steps as usual. When pressing the window in place, I have to be careful not to push too hard as to squish the adhesive up, in order to leave room for the carpet to be shoved down that gap? Fine balance :oops: leaky window if not pushed on properly, carpeting or j-trim won't retrofit if pushed too hard.

I am going to attempt this method because I am kind of forced to do so with a pop-top install coming up soon. They don't want the van to be carpeted, but I've already cut the holes for the windows.

• Insert 2 x 2-inch j-trim pieces on each of the four sides of each cutout. Each piece should be probably located somewhere near enough to a corner?
  • Follow all window application steps as usual. When pressing the window in place, I have to be careful not to push too hard as to squish the adhesive up, in order to leave room for the carpet to be shoved down that gap? Fine balance :oops: leaky window if not pushed on properly, carpeting or j-trim won't retrofit if pushed too hard.
Can you carpet the van up to the top of the windows, leaving the remaining carpet hanging until after the pop top is fitted? That's what I did with mine as there was a long lead time for ordering the pop top.

Can you carpet the van up to the top of the windows, leaving the remaining carpet hanging until after the pop top is fitted? That's what I did with mine as there was a long lead time for ordering the pop top.
That’s what I did with mine. Left loads of carpet hanging down and the roof fitter used that to create a seamless finish around the inside of the pop top frame.
I had to put the glass in first though because I don’t have a drive or anywhere under cover, so as soon as the holes were cut I fitted the glass.

I just put quite a few small pieces around the cut edge. When you do it you’ll see that the adhesive has a special nozzle with a groove that gives a 10mm bead. You’ve also got plenty of spare room (certainly left and right edges) so you can leave a decent gap between adhesive and the edges. Then when you push the window you are very unlikely to have any sealant gaps and the little spacers will just prise off easily with a screwdriver/Stanley knife.

I just put quite a few small pieces around the cut edge. When you do it you’ll see that the adhesive has a special nozzle with a groove that gives a 10mm bead. You’ve also got plenty of spare room (certainly left and right edges) so you can leave a decent gap between adhesive and the edges. Then when you push the window you are very unlikely to have any sealant gaps and the little spacers will just prise off easily with a screwdriver/Stanley knife.
Brilliant info, thanks very much

That’s what I did with mine. Left loads of carpet hanging down and the roof fitter used that to create a seamless finish around the inside of the pop top frame.
I had to put the glass in first though because I don’t have a drive or anywhere under cover, so as soon as the holes were cut I fitted the glass.
Any pics by any chance? Will the carpet just hang there and not roll back down?

Any pics by any chance? Will the carpet just hang there and not roll back down?
I don’t have the pics to hand. The carpet hangs there because the rest of it is glued to the van, up to the top of the panel above the window line.

Sound @paddy26 I get what you're saying. I'll go ahead with this because I don't want to take the risk with getting the carpeting around the windows wrong

Back