Windows and dummy windows - choices, choices

What window set up do you like best?

• Sliding door and opposite opening and dummy windows behind?

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Sliding door plane and opposite opening and dummy windows behind

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Sliding door and opposite plane and dummy behind

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Sliding door and opposite opening and no windows behind?

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Sliding door plane and opposite opening and no windows behind

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Sliding door and opposite plane and dummy behind

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’ve more or less decided to go with a sliding window on the sliding door and on the drivers side as well. On my last van I just had 1 fixed window on either side.
however I have a thought that I might want to add dummy windows. Is it possible to add these later or will it be difficult to get the glass to line up with windows that were added at an earlier time. It we o up ld be good to know how what you installed and if you were to do it again if you would change or not?

@Skyliner33 - I have sliding windows on the sliding door and also a sliding window on the opposite side. I also have 2 dummy windows mounted on to the rear quarters. Very easy to install and line up. I also cannot see any issue if you wish wished to fit the rears at a later date. I have done the entire window install on my van myself.

The only thing I am going to change is the passenger rear quarter. I am going to remove and replace this for a proper window as I would like more light into the back of the van. Mine is for a camper set up so my use may be different to yours and your opinion may differ to that.

One product that wasn't so clear when ordering my windows was the below link. Just a strip of rubber that sticks to the back of the sliding windows. Covers the gap between the front sliding and rear window. My van is Indium grey so with privacy tinted windows the grey doesn't stand out between the windows, but I imagine a white van with privacy tinted windows you would have the dark coloured window with a white stripe running down between the windows if that makes sense. Very small point but definitely something I would go back and fit and will be retro fitting.

@Skyliner33 - I have sliding windows on the sliding door and also a sliding window on the opposite side. I also have 2 dummy windows mounted on to the rear quarters. Very easy to install and line up. I also cannot see any issue if you wish wished to fit the rears at a later date. I have done the entire window install on my van myself.

The only thing I am going to change is the passenger rear quarter. I am going to remove and replace this for a proper window as I would like more light into the back of the van. Mine is for a camper set up so my use may be different to yours and your opinion may differ to that.

One product that wasn't so clear when ordering my windows was the below link. Just a strip of rubber that sticks to the back of the sliding windows. Covers the gap between the front sliding and rear window. My van is Indium grey so with privacy tinted windows the grey doesn't stand out between the windows, but I imagine a white van with privacy tinted windows you would have the dark coloured window with a white stripe running down between the windows if that makes sense. Very small point but definitely something I would go back and fit and will be retro fitting.

Thanks for the replies.
I am not sure I have the nerves to cut the windows in my van so plan on getting them fitted. Maybe I will stick the dummy ones on myself at a later date.
Did you stick all the windows at the same time? Maybe it's more difficult to line up if the fronts are fixed firm?
Thanks, I was aware of that bit of rubber, but I guess it would need to be stuck on when the front windows go on rather than added at a later date when/if the rear windows go on?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.
I am not sure I have the nerves to cut the windows in my van so plan on getting them fitted. Maybe I will stick the dummy ones on myself at a later date.
Did you stick all the windows at the same time? Maybe it's more difficult to line up if the fronts are fixed firm?
Thanks, I was aware of that bit of rubber, but I guess it would need to be stuck on when the front windows go on rather than added at a later date when/if the rear windows go on?

Thanks
The piece of channel rubber on mine was not glued and came loose, I just used superglue (loctite 406) on the inner flange of the rubber.
There are plenty of channel rubber options on ebay.
If you are using the strip mentioned earlier which is secured with 3M tape you are correct, it would be easier to fit before the rear window. I can’t say I’m a fan of the 3M tape, when it’s new it’s impossible to re-position and when it’s aged it’s a bit unreliable at the ends. It also allows dirt and mould to gather under the item that’s stuck down.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks
I stuck all the windows to my van at the same time. The only thing I would note about the aftermarket windows that I purchased (Veedub) were that the window heights were slightly different. Around 2/3mm difference in height so when I lined the windows up I had to choose between getting the bottom straight edge to align on each window front and rear or the top edge of the window to align. When queried I didn't get much joy in the difference in height of the windows, just the way its manufactured. Long story short if you purchase the rear windows at a later date just ensure you check the heights as I'm a perfectionist and it bugged me a little.

You'll be fine aligning rear windows at a later date, when they're applied to the van I had plenty of time to place the window on the van and move it around slightly to make sure the edges of the window sat nicely to the profile of the side of the van and align straight to the front window. In your case though if you're getting somebody to install them they will be more than capable of carrying these works out and to get it perfect. I would definitely advise buying the windows from the same supplier weather all in one hit or at a later date. I went for all in one order hoping they came from similar if not identical batches although I could never prove if they did or didn't.

I do believe I can retro fit the rubber to the front window at my late stage but it'll definitely take me a lot longer than mounting it to window prior to installation. Glad you're aware of it though as this was an oversight that I wasn't aware of when I undertook my works.

Thanks

I went with VGC in the end.

RHS
Front: Premium flush slider
Rear: 100% black fixed dummy

LHS
Front: Premium fixed
Rear: Premium fixed

Zero stock of LHS flush fronts led me to go with fixed. Could swap out at a later date.

Just arrived and looking mint. Ready for fitting next week.

1E06CAE3-9BD8-44FF-A893-D6B43A77E5DD.jpeg

These are 90% tint, bit too Max Power for my tastes, would’ve rather kept my original Kombi glass and added matching rears, but the thought of leaks wrecking my conversion frightened me into making this unwanted expense. Overall the right choice I’m hoping :)

I’ve more or less decided to go with a sliding window on the sliding door and on the drivers side as well. On my last van I just had 1 fixed window on either side.
however I have a thought that I might want to add dummy windows. Is it possible to add these later or will it be difficult to get the glass to line up with windows that were added at an earlier time. It we o up ld be good to know how what you installed and if you were to do it again if you would change or not?
I added the rear quarter dummy windows after. Although purchased from different suppliers I made sure they were the same make and had no issues with sizes. It was easy enough to match up top/bottom but alignment along the length was more difficult (looking down the side front to back or back to front) as the front windows were already glued in place. If I was to do it again I would do all the windows at the same time, however, although it’s not 100% I’m happy with the result. I used this rubber attached to the rear quarter dummy glass which covers the gap

Depending on how you view the van you can sometimes see in the reflection that the glass is not 100% front to back

DAB222BF-F8E4-452E-A793-B819BEF4D684.jpeg

0B669FF6-AC1E-4F1B-95C4-66C42135DCB6.jpeg

Probably been covered 101 times...but aftermarket windows...speaking to several converters ,they all have different opinions...sliding windows on one side or both? Genuine vw sliders although expensive do they leak...if so why do they leak..same goes for other aftermarket sliders... some say avoid because they leak..! WHY DO THEY LEAK ? Have they been fitted poorly....then others say why bother with openers, they can be a sercurity issue ! Stay with non openers both sides! Decisions,decisions

Hello! I have order an new Candy White T6.1 Panel Van, i order it with windows in sliding doors, in Sweden there not possible to order rear side windows so i search for fake windows, i mail with Vanstyle but they could not export to Sweden, is there any other company who sell this windows?

Best regards, Mr Kent Sweden

How about transporter HQ?

Just opened a website in Europe as well now so either one may be able to ship to you

what's the best option for Dummy rear quarter windows? Camper Glass do them already blacked out. how do they look compared to normal tinted glass with the body work painted black?

TIA

These are 90% tint, bit too Max Power for my tastes, would’ve rather kept my original Kombi glass and added matching rears, but the thought of leaks wrecking my conversion frightened me into making this unwanted expense. Overall the right choice I’m hoping :)
hi mate did you remove and fit the replacement windows yourself? looking for tips of how to remove the oem leaking windows to fit aftermarket thanks

Replacement front quarter opening windows. Is it only vw oem windows that leak? Are the aftermarket ones leak free? If they are why can vw not get it right after so many years? I’m asking because my sliding door opening windows leaks. It’s useless to me if it will always leak so if it can’t be fixed I’ll replace the front quarter openers.

Replacement front quarter opening windows. Is it only vw oem windows that leak? Are the aftermarket ones leak free? If they are why can vw not get it right after so many years? I’m asking because my sliding door opening windows leaks. It’s useless to me if it will always leak so if it can’t be fixed I’ll replace the front quarter openers.

Check out this recent video from Transporter HQ about their new flush sliding windows, if I remember correctly they go into some details as to why others leak:

Check out this recent video from Transporter HQ about their new flush sliding windows, if I remember correctly they go into some details as to why others leak:

Thanks for the link to the video. They look great. I’ll keep those in mind when I’m discussing my options.

Aftermarket ones are usually recessed, so different design. Not seen any reports of problems, but of course don't look as flush!

Have seen mention of VGC flush windows on the forum, and the THQ ones have been promised for some time.

Back