Window edge trim

Paulanthony

Hi All
Just about to start cutting holes and sticking side windows in when i looked at the knock on edge trim i bought, its standard size but is not going to fit both lips of the van.
Do people use a wider trim or just go with the standard size and cover the outside lip only? I'd prefer to cover both lips as would look a lot tidier but
just want to make sure. thanks in advance.

Hi All
Just about to start cutting holes and sticking side windows in when i looked at the knock on edge trim i bought, its standard size but is not going to fit both lips of the van.
Do people use a wider trim or just go with the standard size and cover the outside lip only? I'd prefer to cover both lips as would look a lot tidier but
just want to make sure. thanks in advance.

Hi Paul,

We usually carpet out and over the cut lines (primed and bonded both skins together first of course) which in our opinion gives the very best finish.

Of course, some customers don't want the sliding door or rear doors carpeted so occasionally we will use a rubber trim to cover both skins. Better finish than just the one skin .

Hi Paul,

We usually carpet out and over the cut lines (primed and bonded both skins together first of course) which in our opinion gives the very best finish.

Of course, some customers don't want the sliding door or rear doors carpeted so occasionally we will use a rubber trim to cover both skins. Better finish than just the one skin .
Can I ask what you mean by "bonded together? Something to fill the void between the two skins?

When cutting out a window on the O/S front especially if fitting a genuine VW slider unit (larger cut) you can see that the inside and outside skins bond is either missing or there is not enough left. So the skins need bonding back together to prevent movement.

Also as you suggested, the gap filled if using the carpeting method helps prevent the carpet sagging into the void over time.

When cutting out a window on the O/S front especially if fitting a genuine VW slider unit (larger cut) you can see that the inside and outside skins bond is either missing or there is not enough left. So the skins need bonding back together to prevent movement.

Also as you suggested, the gap filled if using the carpeting method helps prevent the carpet sagging into the void over time.
Can I ask what you use to fill the gap or pond it? I just have the near side rear corner to do as it’s a Kombi. Don’t particularly want to use knock on strip.

If you fit oem windows, do you not use a rubber edge strip?
how do you ensure the rear glass is flat and level with the front window? Does the glass come with buffers already on it?

Puraflex 40 / tigerseal / sikaflex PU adhesives or windscreen bonding adhesives

Good advice, another favourite just for the two skins gap around the sliding door and rear doors is expanding foam. Fill it, let it set and trim it flat. Has no purpose other than stopping carpet from dropping into the void so works a treat.

If you fit oem windows, do you not use a rubber edge strip?
how do you ensure the rear glass is flat and level with the front window? Does the glass come with buffers already on it?

VW glass comes with rubber spacer blocks. I'll post a pic of the internal finish when I get chance.
Never used knock on rubber for this window, always carpeted edge.

Back